• Help Support TNDeer:

Gout

BigRod

I take 300 mg of allopurinol a day. i have battled it on and off for years. As others have said, red meat, alcohol, fried foods, fish, shell fish can and will trigger it. The cherry thing works and helps some but when mine flairs up bad I get a prednisone shot to knock it out quick. It sucks and no one believes just the weight from a sheet hurts. Good luck PM me with any questions..

sll

Me and a co-worker both suffered from it on a regular basis years ago. We would both have flare ups every 1-2 months. I have been on 300MG of Allopurinol daily for 4-5 years now and haven't had issues since (Knock on a big piece of wood). He started taking it also and same results for him but he is taking 600MG a day as 300MG didn't quite get it for him.

Snake

Supporter
Never had it they say those that have money are the only ones to get it :) hope you get it under control. I've known a few to have it and know it's painful . One guy said his flared up when he ate shellfish.

TAFKAP

I got diagnosed by a podiatrist because I thought I injured my foot. I've had 3 flare-ups in 4 years. He wrote a scrip for Indocin, and it's always helped. He said:

"You're going to want to kill yourself when you read the list of 'do-not-eat' foods and drinks and try to avoid them all. In reality, you're going to look at that list and see the one or two triggers that set you off. It's a Monday in July. Did you eat burgers and drink beer this weekend? Yeah, you did. So drink a bunch of water, don't eat 5 meals in a row of ground beef, and you'll be fine"

When it first sets in on you, it will seek out an injury. You'll be instantly crippled and wonder what in the world you did. The easiest piece of self-preservation is to stay hydrated. Make a habit out of drinking water, and if you drink cokes, stop entirely. Not just for gout, but for overall health. The next time you have a fit, you might forget you have it and wonder why you're hurting again. But the Indocin will usually help. You'll sit there and go, CRAP, I haven't had any water in the past 3 days. Drink at least a half gallon a day. If you don't have a 30oz tumbler, buy one and keep it full of water.

Maybe on your third attack, you'll feel the tinge of pain setting in, and jump on the Indocin early. That keeps it at bay for me. Rotate your diet around and drink a bunch of water.

redblood

Gout was original know as a rich mans plaque, due to excess alcohol and meat consumption- only afforded by the rich. My buddy was able to get of allupurinol when he gave up beer and wine and dropped 15 pounds. Also no sugared soft drinks. Not as bad as alcohol but the high fructose corn syrup can aggravate it. Diet drinks will not affect it.

TAFKAP

Diet drinks affect your metabolism in other ways and are not a "healthy" alternative to sweetened drinks. You're better off staying away from stuff you can't brew or make at home.

duckriver

Surprised so many here have it. Not joke I broke the same ankle/ foot that flares up on me sometime. When I have a major flare up it hurts worse than when I broke it

redblood

It is and as called “rich mans disease”. Control your diet and find out the triggers that cause it.
For most, getting your bmi back in check and given up booze will do the trick. I have several friends say that a weekend of beer or especially wine, will bring it on. Another friend says turkey is his main culprit.

TAFKAP

Surprised so many here have it. Not joke I broke the same ankle/ foot that flares up on me sometime. When I have a major flare up it hurts worse than when I broke it

Yeah, they say it seeks out injury for some reason.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.