• Help Support TNDeer:

Gotta to brag a little

SilverFox

I've put a hurting on the coyotes this year on the new farm we are hunting. I shot one before season and since season started I've shot 7 more. I've missed 3 going back to before season. I missed one with my son at 320 yards. I was trying to keep him in camera so my son could watch and shoot at the same time while he was headed out the field. I barely missed him. I missed one running before season that walked out on us while I was setting up the FoxPro. I missed another one at 330 yards that moved at the last possible moment. It looked like he saw the dang muzzle flash or something. Catman saw the video. It was crazy. Well today, Kenny and I went to the deer stand at 10 and sat until 2. We saw 2 does and a yearling doe. Right when we were packing up to leave, I saw a coyote break the wood line across the field. It was the mangy one that we haven't seen in person, only on trail camera. I knew he was a long ways out and really didn't think about shooting at him but Kenny wanted me to try him. I wish now I had got him to video it. At the time I didn't know exactly how far he was... I was thinking 400 +/- a little. I held the rifle what I thought was about 12" over the top of him and squeezed one off. To my surprise it flattened him. It didn't DRT him as he was flopping around a little but it was a killing shot. I pulled out my range finder and it showed 394 yards. Right after I got a range on him he drug himself off into the briar bed. We drove around there and it is obvious that he wasn't going to go far. I followed him up in there around 10-15 yards crawling but couldn't see him and wasn't really wanting to run up on a cottonmouth so I backed out. He left some of his insides hanging in the briars. I pulled my phone out and went to the Hunt Stand app for GPS and used it to double check what the range finder showed. It showed 394.5 yards from where the blood spot is back to the stand. I know luck played as much in it as anything but I'm gonna take a little credit as well. It seems the more I kill out there the more that show up. They have completely destroyed the deer carcass that I put out Saturday. I was hoping to catch one or two on it. Saw one standing in the bean field across the swamp headed to the stand today.

coyote blood trail.jpg
coyote blood trail 1.jpg

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

cbhunter

Supporter
Glad I don’t have to deal with that many. I have probably seen less than 35-40 in my life while hunting. I do have them in my yard almost nightly because I have trail cam under persimmon tree. Just not as thick as a lot of places I guess. Keep putting the hurting on them though, good job!

Hunter 257W

Good shootin' there hitting a coyote at 400 yards! I love blasting the varmints myself. Sounds like you have plenty so keep it up and even if you don't make much difference you get to have fun shooting them.

redblood

Im an avid coyote caller and have been since the early 1990s when our popultion was just getting started. I have a question- why are you having to attempt such long shots. We kill most of ours at 30 to 80 yards and closing quickly. Maybe turn your volume down a bit

SilverFox

Im an avid coyote caller and have been since the early 1990s when our popultion was just getting started. I have a question- why are you having to attempt such long shots. We kill most of ours at 30 to 80 yards and closing quickly. Maybe turn your volume down a bit

I only call coyotes out of deer season. All of these are coming from the deer stand while deer hunting with no call involved.

Latest posts