Got shafted by Principle Toyota in Memphis.

L

Laserman1

Supporter
That’s sorry business. I would find another dealer. I don’t blame dealers for jacking their prices up. I would do the same thing if I was in their business. No different than the jacked up boat , atv, utv, motorcycle dealerships right now. Or even the grocery store and building supply prices.

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
They made me mad several months ago. They were advertising that they would beat any Carmax offer by $2,000 as long as the bar was values over $8,000. We brought in a Carmax offer $10,000 for a car and they totally rejected us, didn't even offer us a dime over the Carmax offer.

R

redblood

Supporter
I am about tired of businesses not keeping their word. I can understand service not being as good or as fast with employee shortages but keeping your word is different. Three weeks ago, I filled out paperwork, sent in payment information for a deposit and even got a VIN number for the car we are buying for our daughter. We were to complete the purchase when it came in and the sales person even called me twice to make sure that I could complete the purchase by the end of the month if it came in. Well today Principle Toyota Memphis calls me and says that something happened and the car was sold to someone else. We have looked for a car for her for 8 months and finally stopped looking for a used car and decided to buy new. We've waited three weeks for it to come in and now we have to start the process all over again. 3 of the last 4 new cars I have bought were a Camry, a Sienna and a Tundra. Toyota has lost me as a customer.
We bought my wife a new four runner limited last yr and same thing happened. But they made it right. Got one off another lot and gave us a better price. Even paying cash, toyota is not easy to negotiate with. Their demand is nuts. I probably wouldnt buy another, even though she loves it and it will probably last 4 ever

B

BMan

Is that even legal? Did you put money down? Would a Signed buyers order technically be a contract? Idk asking?
Guarantee they would have held you to it!

That's what I would be looking at.

D

deerfever

That’s sorry business. I would find another dealer. I don’t blame dealers for jacking their prices up. I would do the same thing if I was in their business. No different than the jacked up boat , atv, utv, motorcycle dealerships right now. Or even the grocery store and building supply prices.
Yes, some people are willing to pay it so that is not on the dealership it's on the buyer. I found 3 that were not marking up one penny over MSRP and that's the ones I focused on to get the truck I wanted allocated. It was funny as I was looking at one dealer they brought out a deal sheet and not only did they mark up 3k for "adjustment" they had also did me a favor with a 500 theft policy. Lol, I ask the guy how many vehicles he had stolen in his lifetime, no answer? I also explained my insurance would cover that. The dealership will do whatever you allow them. Of course I left and never looked back at that place. I can't understand how they did this to the OP with a VIN # and a deposit? That is just sorry business and I don't even see how its legal but I am sure there is some fine print somewhere.

timberjack86

timberjack86

Definitely frustrating when a deal falls through. I don’t k ow if you are set on a Toyota or not but when I bought my f150 I was 100% satisfied when the Ford dealer in mayfield Kentucky. I’m not far from memphis and I drove 2 hours there and didn’t regret it. That is if it is still there after that tornado. Oh Avnet been back through there
Never had a problem buying from Ford. My buddy had to order his and I think he waited 3 weeks and picked it up yesterday.

CBU93

CBU93

Supporter
They made me mad several months ago. They were advertising that they would beat any Carmax offer by $2,000 as long as the bar was values over $8,000. We brought in a Carmax offer $10,000 for a car and they totally rejected us, didn't even offer us a dime over the Carmax offer.
Did it meet all requirements if the advertised offer?

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Sounds about right.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Small update. I was driving all day today for family vacation but got a text from salesperson today that they somehow realized that they were allocated another car, same as I wanted but did not have a build date yet, but it was mine if I wanted it. And I could have it for $1700 less. I told them that I may buy another Toyota but it wouldn't be from their dealership as the whole thing has made me really uncomfortable with their business. I honestly feel like the sales lady is caught in the middle. The guy who called me yesterday just said "sorry, mistake has been made and car has been sold to someone else" and gave me no offer of being next on the list or help finding another one. He told the sales lady that he did offer me to be put on the list. I told her that if he had told me that a mistake had been made but you are next on the list for the next one that comes in, I would have understood and likely would have taken it. And my wife wonders why I am soooooooooooooo skeptical of almost everyone.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Is that even legal? Did you put money down? Would a Signed buyers order technically be a contract? Idk asking?
Guarantee they would have held you to it!
It was three weeks ago when I sent the paperwork in so my credit card statement had not come yet. I did check the balance and they never charged the deposit. So sales lady has called me twice with updates on where "my" car is obviously without knowing they never even charged the deposit

fairchaser

fairchaser

Somebody was paid off. You have grounds for a lawsuit.

B

BlackBelt

Somebody was paid off. You have grounds for a lawsuit.
While "you can sue anybody for amything" is a common mantra, it isn't really true.
You have to be able to show how you were damaged or harmed by someone else's actions. In this case, how much damage or harm (in lost money) was caused by a business poor practice? Give a dollar amount. Where/how did that amount of damage occur? If a downpayment was made via credit card, and that charge was not paid by the plaintiff, OR could be reverse charged by the credit card company what is the damage?
Then the court will ask did the company make an effort to fix the problem? In this case yes, they offered another vehicle.
The other point here is the question of is this a rare happening in that industry? No, it's not. It happens enough that it may be considered a standard practice.
These types of things are infuriating to people (consumers) who are good and honest people. And these things are why car dealers are largely despised.

fairchaser

fairchaser

I
While "you can sue anybody for amything" is a common mantra, it isn't really true.
You have to be able to show how you were damaged or harmed by someone else's actions. In this case, how much damage or harm (in lost money) was caused by a business poor practice? Give a dollar amount. Where/how did that amount of damage occur? If a downpayment was made via credit card, and that charge was not paid by the plaintiff, OR could be reverse charged by the credit card company what is the damage?
Then the court will ask did the company make an effort to fix the problem? In this case yes, they offered another vehicle.
The other point here is the question of is this a rare happening in that industry? No, it's not. It happens enough that it may be considered a standard practice.
These types of things are infuriating to people (consumers) who are good and honest people. And these things are why car dealers are largely despised.
I agree Blackbelt. Most of the time, these issues are too small and trivial to sue over. You could show monetary damages due to loss of use but it’s definitely not worth it and should just move on. It’s really ashamed though.

P

prstide

Small update. I was driving all day today for family vacation but got a text from salesperson today that they somehow realized that they were allocated another car, same as I wanted but did not have a build date yet, but it was mine if I wanted it. And I could have it for $1700 less. I told them that I may buy another Toyota but it wouldn't be from their dealership as the whole thing has made me really uncomfortable with their business. I honestly feel like the sales lady is caught in the middle. The guy who called me yesterday just said "sorry, mistake has been made and car has been sold to someone else" and gave me no offer of being next on the list or help finding another one. He told the sales lady that he did offer me to be put on the list. I told her that if he had told me that a mistake had been made but you are next on the list for the next one that comes in, I would have understood and likely would have taken it. And my wife wonders why I am soooooooooooooo skeptical of almost everyone.
Glad you stuck to your guns even though they tried to sweeten the deal. They’re obviously some not so honest people behind the scenes there so I wouldn’t give them another dime.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
I think you've gone the best route buddy, sticking to your principles, and not giving them your business, while simultaneously giving them the business. Bad advertising for them can cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, even tho they may not feel the sting of it during these high times, they may feel it during the low times when they really need customers.