Got my CVA Accura MR back opinions encouraged

Harold Money jr

I sent my Accura back to the factory after it had some serious accuracy issues for me. I use pyrodex powders (Loose ffg and fffg and 30gr pellets in ffg) 240gr .44 Hornady XTP's with knight sabots green. I like 80-90gr and every muzzleloader I have shot would shoot these combinations very well I'm familiar with how the combo acts and what trajectory to expect. My accura apparently hates any of the above combinations to the tune of 8"-10" groups at 100 yds. No matter what, shooting clean or fouled could not do better. I'm not talking 3 shots in an inch and 1 flyer. I'm talking at 100yds shooting at an 8" clock face and basically hitting the numbers not the center and numbers not on the same sides.
The company sent it back with a test target with a 1.68" group at 100yds. They used 100gr white hots with a 270 powerbelt load. They have been very helpful and supportive so I have no complaints with them. Is there that much difference in my powder white hots vs pyrodex? I'm thinking about trying some 300 gr XTP's for the longer bullet thinking that might be better for this gun. What do y'all think about this?

TheLBLman

I think it's mainly an issue of those PowerBelt bullets shooting more accurately in that particular gun. Personally, I have no use for PowerBelt bullets, and would go to a different gun rather than use them.

If you're really wanting to stick with that particular gun, I'd try some 100% copper Barnes bullets (whatever powder you want to try, but I'd consider nothing but BH209). The Barnes bullets are "longer" for their weight and tend to shoot more accurately in many guns because of this (just my opinion).

But I'll tell you what I did under somewhat similar circumstances a few years ago: I got a Savage smokeless, which will save you time and money over time, and help you kill more deer.

In summary:

1) Try some different bullets (Barnes would be my top recommendation)

2) Go to the BH209 powder (use Federal #209 shotgun primers)
---- if you go this route, you MUST first really clean your breech & barrel with something like Hoppe's #9 solvent (or anything specifically recommended for the BH209 powder). After cleaning with the proper solvent, and using the correct primers, you will find the BH209 more reliable, and many find greater accuracy.

3) Just ditch the CVA and go smokeless.

mike243

if you love those bullets you will need to find the sabot base that the gun likes. every gun is different & they make different size sabot bases for a reason, ask the smokeless guys that have been shooting them for a while, they can tell you where to get them,I personally have killed every deer I shot with a powerbelt but others haven't

mike243

also if I stilled smoked id use BH209 & then try the different sabot bases,nurling the bullet & using the same bases is all some rifles need to make the rifling/bullet engage enuf to shoot great.the info & parts are out there is just matter of $ to find what it likes, I am shooting the 240 xtp in my savage but haven't got a shot at a deer yet, Im still toting it and will til I kill something with it lol

Harold Money jr

Great feedback guys, I like the bullets and the sabots mainly because they are cheap, usually accurate, and kill very well. I'll try different sabots, I will not use powerbelts, simply do not like them, I killed one with them and have cut many others up killed with them, I find the XTP performance to be better. I have a friend who shoots powerbelts and likes them. He loves the gun and will give me my money back if I can't get it to shoot what I want.

A

Anonymous

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but to shoot BH 209 You will have to get the proper Breech Plug from western or CVA. CVA breevh plug is AC1611BH for an accura V2, it might be different with a MR. After shooting wipe your breech face and firing pin bushing with a white cloth. If it is dirity or black you will need to get a shim kit from CVA, about $4.00 or so. Sorry for answering
an old thread, just thinking it will get to you.

A

Anonymous

d.winsor said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but to shoot BH 209 You will have to get the proper Breech Plug from western or CVA. CVA breevh plug is AC1611BH for an accura V2, it might be different with a MR. After shooting wipe your breech face and firing pin bushing with a white cloth. If it is dirity or black you will need to get a shim kit from CVA, about $4.00 or so. Sorry for answering
an old thread, just thinking it will get to you.

If you get a shim kit from CVA to adjust your firing pin bushing, adjust it only to the breech face on your gun. do not adjust for a crush fit of the primer, CVA says the kit is not for adjusting blow back.

Harold Money jr

Thanks for all information guys! I'm gonna try the harvester sabots It sounds like they could be an improvement loading and potentially accuracy wise. I'll post results when I test it again.

Harold Money jr

Update on my accuracy problems from last year. I changed sabots from "green" knight sabots to the harvester sabots. Apparently they made all the difference. I went from literally 10" groups at 100yds to about an inch. Literally an inch!!! I'm at a loss as to why they made that much of a difference. The harvester sabots load so much easier as well. 80gr fffg Pyrodex behind 240gr XTP and harvester sabot is my new go to load in this rifle. Thanks to those who offered great advice and especially to those who recommended the sabot switch.

Latest posts