Got a safety notice on my boat

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
They have discovered a potential defect in the steering cable on '22 & '23 vessels manufactured between April 2022 and August 2022.

Possible steering cable breakage.
Said I should not operate the boat until it is inspected.

Glad they caught it.

Probably a pos cable made in China.
Know all too well about vendor quality issues.
Glad they kept up with the date codes.

Hope I can get it checked locally and not have to go all the way to Paris.

TheLBLman

I'd say a cable breaking might be the least of the safety concerns when Ruger is steering the vessel 😆
Ruger's Future Tip of the Day, Oct 13, 2022:
Do NOT see how fast you can get on plane going across Reelfoot Lake!
The "ditch pickles" just aren't worth it.

And until recently, every time Ruger said he was "going after ditch pickles tomorrow",
I thought he was talking about gar in some of his "gar holes".

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Dang, I just looked on the website and the closest authorized dealer to me is in Calvert City KY.
If they weren't so high I would swing by Patti's and eat when I take it. LOL

I would have thought there would have been one in Paris.
Oh well.

bigquacks

Sounds like a supply chain nightmare. Do you take it now and miss the fall bite or wait until it is cold like everyone else and be in an even longer line? With todays issues you could miss the spring bite if you wait.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Sounds like a supply chain nightmare. Do you take it now and miss the fall bite or wait until it is cold like everyone else and be in an even longer line? With todays issues you could miss the spring bite if you wait.
Figure I will call them and see if they have the part IF mine is indeed bad.
Not gonna take it till I know they have the part to fix it, if needed.

OR IF I can get an appointment and KNOW they will look at it and I can get it back the next day if it is bad I will take it, then bring it home and use it till the part gets here.
Not gonna do without my boat for over a week.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
With that being said I will not be running at over an idle till I know one way or another.
I will be perfectly fine fishing like I do 90% of the time, which requires no more than an idle.

chimneyman

Just order you one they aren't that hard to replace unless you have to remove the motor to get the arm off. I replaced one last week. You tube is your friend. Took me about an hour

ImThere

Figure I will call them and see if they have the part IF mine is indeed bad.
Not gonna take it till I know they have the part to fix it, if needed.

OR IF I can get an appointment and KNOW they will look at it and I can get it back the next day if it is bad I will take it, then bring it home and use it till the part gets here.
Not gonna do without my boat for over a week.
Surly they will offer you a rental while yours is in the shop? Lol.
Went for a ride in my brother in laws boat some 20 years ago the bracket where the steering cable goes through broke. We were heading towards the bank and he couldn't steer the boat. He let off and stopped us before we hit the bank. I had to hold the bracket straight as we idled back to the ramp. It could have been bad. We got pretty lucky that day.

Get it fixed before it fails at speed and puts you in the lake or worse! Be careful buddy.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Surly they will offer you a rental while yours is in the shop? Lol.
Went for a ride in my brother in laws boat some 20 years ago the bracket where the steering cable goes through broke. We were heading towards the bank and he couldn't steer the boat. He let off and stopped us before we hit the bank. I had to hold the bracket straight as we idled back to the ramp. It could have been bad. We got pretty lucky that day.

Get it fixed before it fails at speed and puts you in the lake or worse! Be careful buddy.
No doubt, I won't be going above an idle until it's checked out and / or fixed.

Latest posts