Got a hunt off a lifetime today

megalomaniac

Once I had elk i was ready to go shoot one. Finances haven't gotten me out there yet, but I will be going in the next few years!
If you arent picky about trophies... its very possible to do the hunt for around $1500 DIY

$500 to $750 for tag depending on state
$350 for gas (your half if driving with another)
$300 food (and that's eating GOOD... camp steaks fish, etc)
$200 misc (calls, game bags, ice, etc)

The biggest problem is that tag fees are getting astronomical...

Wyoming is proposing $2000 for nonresident elk fees for the special draw...

Going DIY out west is going to be a thing of the past... either too expensive for some states, other states have reduced the odds of drawing a tag as NR DIY to kear zero.

The new normal will be for all NR to contract with an outfitter and give them $5000 plus tag fees.

If you want to do it on the cheap.... do it SOON!

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
If you arent picky about trophies... its very possible to do the hunt for around $1500 DIY

Going DIY out west is going to be a thing of the past... either too expensive for some states, other states have reduced the odds of drawing a tag as NR DIY to kear zero.

The new normal will be for all NR to contract with an outfitter and give them $5000 plus tag fees.

Yeah we went DIY last year for Mule deer in Wyoming and had a lot of fun. Hoping to do antelope next year, then maybe elk the year after that.

JCDEERMAN

Yep - getting out of hand. Out here now. $700 for either-sex over the counter elk tags. The key out here is location. The best locations charge an arm and a leg. You can stay somewhere cheap and do some hiking, but most of the public land out here is overrun with people. Most of the national forest parking has 10-30 vehicles. Screw that. Talked to one outfitter while hiking a trail with the wife and daughter and they were on horseback packing hunters 10 miles back in there. That's what you're competing with. Pay the money, or else….

AT Hiker

Thanks Buddy…it's a different game out there for sure! I'm hooked!!!
Indeed it is.
I spent a few years in the Eastern MT prairie with my Papa chasing Mule deer...I will be headed back in October and look forward to reminiscing on the times we spent out there together. Planning to pack his Browning 30.06 lever action with me this time. Like your knife it has a special feel on my shoulder.