Got a hunt off a lifetime today

tree_ghost

Little update… I've been in the articulation brace for a few weeks now. Each Friday I have been allowed an additional 10 degrees of movement. This past Friday I felt as if the next click would get me to a straight arm even though there weee more clicks left in the braces articulation. I have been anticipating on making a full extension with that arm to begin working on the tendons full flexibility. In addition to the flexibility I have been strengthening the bicep muscle with resistance bands. Yesterday I decided to take the brace off and just see how the natural articulation of the elbow felt. It was a bit stiff but loosened up buddy within a few minutes. I kept the brace off the rest of the evening and made sure not to pick up anything more then about 3 lbs. it's very exciting but I know I need to temper my exposure to any potentially compromising situations that would cause me to damage my arm again while not wearing the brace. Slow and steady!!

Hduke86

Little update… I've been in the articulation brace for a few weeks now. Each Friday I have been allowed an additional 10 degrees of movement. This past Friday I felt as if the next click would get me to a straight arm even though there weee more clicks left in the braces articulation. I have been anticipating on making a full extension with that arm to begin working on the tendons full flexibility. In addition to the flexibility I have been strengthening the bicep muscle with resistance bands. Yesterday I decided to take the brace off and just see how the natural articulation of the elbow felt. It was a bit stiff but loosened up buddy within a few minutes. I kept the brace off the rest of the evening and made sure not to pick up anything more then about 3 lbs. it's very exciting but I know I need to temper my exposure to any potentially compromising situations that would cause me to damage my arm again while not wearing the brace. Slow and steady!!
Slow and steady wins the race

tree_ghost

Another update….the recovery on my distal bicep tendon has been phenomenal. I have 100% mobility back in my elbow articulation. The soreness has dissipated as the doctor said it would and I feel normal again. My persistent muscle rehabilitation exercises have paid off and I'm at 85% strength in the bicep! I shot about 10 arrows yesterday with my new toy…so to say I'm pumped is an understatement! I highly recommend looking at TOA for any physical issues like I had. They did a great job! In addition to my arm recovery I am down to 182lb of trim mountain shredding muscle lol. Seriously this is the best cardio shape I've been in since high school. Feeling good about this thing!

Dodge Man

Well I can't brag on my employer enough right now…as a token of appreciation for our efforts they are sending me and 2 good friends, who are coworkers, on a fully furnished elk hunt next September! It is with Banded Peak Ranch Outfitters in Chromo Co. Their ranch encompasses the head waters of the Navajo River and from the pictures the views will be incredible! It will be a guided, early archery hunt. I've never been out west to hunt but I've always dreamed of it. I'm on cloud 9 right now. I'm very glad to have 1 year worth of prep time ahead of it. I have no experience with western hunting so I will take all advice you have to offer, especially when it comes to gear! Man this has been a freaking awesome week!!!!!!
Congratulations! I am not sure what condition you are in but I would be hiking or running a few miles a week minimum. Closer to the trip I would be running 5-10 miles a week or more.

tree_ghost

Boomshakalaka!!! Just got my confirmation email for my tags!!! It's official now boys!!! If you can't tell I'm pumped up right now. Wednesday will mark our 3 month countdown too day 1….

Attachments

• 5FD6C44B-ACA6-41BD-910A-AB9DA864CEE6.jpeg
    5FD6C44B-ACA6-41BD-910A-AB9DA864CEE6.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 59

LanceS4803

A word of warning (from my wife):
Don't push the physical training too hard.
I was hitting the weights, running, rucking, etc. to get ready for a high mountain hunt in UT. My wife said that I might want to dial it back the closer I got the departure, as I sure didn't want to sustain an injury.
I for darn sure was in great shape (smoked my Army PT test)!
Something to think about.

tree_ghost

Ok fellas been a while since I updated this thread and as of today I'm 3 weeks from departure. My arm is feeling strong again and Has regained 95% of its atrophied muscle back. I have been shooting my bow daily and am feeling very confident down range. Given the right conditions I would take a shot to 80 yards but I'm hoping to have one
come in much much closer. Physical conditioning and diet were my biggest concerns heading into this hunt especially coming off a fresh surgery but somehow I managed to knock it out of the park. I'm in the best shape I've been in since playing ball. Now comes the endless tinkering with gear and bags for 3 weeks while I watch the clock slowly tick by….

Attachments

• 54D15DFD-3C13-4006-8E1D-1D41DC81FABD.jpeg
    54D15DFD-3C13-4006-8E1D-1D41DC81FABD.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 57

tellico4x4

80 yard shot? If you fling one from that distance I hope it hits perfectly.
Way too far to shoot a bull with a bow. Guided a guy one time in ID that was punching target in camp at 100 yards. We were all impressed until I called one to about 15 yds & he couldn't even pull his bow back.... Of the 6 I've killed with bow, 27 yds is furthest, 3 the closest.

Buzzard Breath

I was just on Bowsite checking up on hunt reports and thought of this. If you haven't left yet, I bet you're driving the family nuts with excitement. Either way, good luck and we'll be looking forward to the pics and trip report when you get back. Man, do I ever wish I was in your place right now.

tree_ghost

Just spoke with a friend that spent a few days in Southern CO backcountry. The elk kept him up all night screaming, it's that time of year!

Good luck
That's great news! Im hearing the same thing from the ranchers…I'm having a hard time keeping calm lol. We depart @ 3am Thursday morning!

Attachments

• 9548ADCE-6648-4317-A7AC-CB69AA801ACB.jpeg
    9548ADCE-6648-4317-A7AC-CB69AA801ACB.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 70

Hduke86

That's great news! Im hearing the same thing from the ranchers…I'm having a hard time keeping calm lol. We depart @ 3am Thursday morning!
Right around the corner brother. I hope it's a blast and you have a great time. If anyone deserves a great hunt of a lifetime, it's you brother. I'll be praying for a great time and safety out in God's gorgeous creations.

tree_ghost

Right around the corner brother. I hope it's a blast and you have a great time. If anyone deserves a great hunt of a lifetime, it's you brother. I'll be praying for a great time and safety out in God's gorgeous creations.
Thank you Houston! I cannot freaking wait…hope I get some sleep tonight

Latest posts