Got a hunt off a lifetime today

AT Hiker

You like 10x42 power with premium glass?
I have a pair of Swarovski's and a tri-pod adapter for them. Your eyes will thank you. Once you spend days looking through glass for Coues in AZ youll appreciate using both eyes.

I do have a spotter and some of my buddies have BIG spotters. They are nice, just allows you to pick things apart and get a more accurate judge on antler size and a few other things to help plan a stalk.

I do all my initial glassing with my binocs and if I have a spotter with me and/or time permits I will get out the big glass.

Of course, if your glassing miles away a spotter will work much better but in reality your probably not going to do that or your guide will have a spotter. I say upgrade your binoc glass (you can use it here) buy a tri-pod adapter and decent tri-pod.

dsa5455

Happy for you. I imagine every comment that can be made has already been posted on the previous 4 pages. I don't think you could take enough pictures for an experience like that. Look forward to your post of the progress in getting ready.

tree_ghost

Ok so I upgraded my bow site, previously I had been running a single pin Tommy Hogg. This is primarily a whitetail bow with some turkey hunting on it. I decided to go with a Fast Eddie XL 3 pin, my reasoning is the quickness in which an elk can traverse open ground out west while at full draw for an archer. I want to know I have the ability to place a pin on the vitals as I loose an arrow. This isn't bow hunting whitetail from a tree in Tennessee, although I love that unconditionally, and I don't want to miss an opportunity

Hduke86

Ok so I upgraded my bow site, previously I had been running a single pin Tommy Hogg. This is primarily a whitetail bow with some turkey hunting on it. I decided to go with a Fast Eddie XL 3 pin, my reasoning is the quickness in which an elk can traverse open ground out west while at full draw for an archer. I want to know I have the ability to place a pin on the vitals as I loose an arrow. This isn't bow hunting whitetail from a tree in Tennessee, although I love that unconditionally, and I don't want to miss an opportunity
I believe you made a smart move with that decision. I finally have got the hang of my CBE Engage Hybrid 3 pin and wonder why it took me so long to switch to that type of sight. I guess cause I had the same bow for 20 yrs lol until this year.

tree_ghost

Well it's been an eventful two weeks to say the least… long story short two Saturdays ago I tore my lower distal bicep tendon completely in my left arm while boxing on a heavy bag with my brother! Couple visits to the orthopedic and an MRI later it's determined I have to have surgery ASAP. Let them cut me open this past Wednesday with the understand that my hunting trip is exactly 6 months away. The doctor and I have my recovery calendar showing 100% rehabed around July 4th. It's killings me not being able to shoot my bow. Never gone more than a week without letting an arrow fly in the last 20 years so it's definitely messing with my psyche… aside from that I got my licensing and tags applied for. Deadline for elk draw in Colorado is April 5. Guess I'll be walking a lot in the meantime….

utvolsfan77

Tree Ghost, you can't imagine how incredibly envious I am of you and your future trip. I hope you recover quickly from your recent injury and wish you the best of luck during your hunt.

All through elementary and high school I dreamed of hunting out west one day. I grew up reading Outdoor Life magazine, and hundreds of hunting adventures of Jack O'Connor while he was the Shooting Editor, then later, his replacement, Jim Carmichael. That dream remained a goal as I spent my 20s, 30's, and most of my 40's on active duty in the U.S. Army. Occasionally I would be able to get home for a few days to hunt whitetails every few years, but my western hunt dream remained active in the background of my mind.

Ten years after I retired, my physical health seemed to walk off of a cliff and I developed major medical problems. My largest challenge is simply breathing - I have a severe case of COPD/emphysema, less than 30% capacity in my right lung, severe enough that the local VA Pulmonary Section wants to surgically remove the upper lobe of my right lung. I have difficulty walking even small inclines such as steps and stairs at sea level, so a western hunt is no longer possible for me.

Keep us updated with lots of photos once you begin your trip. In that regard, you will be taking broken down old farts such as myself on your hunt with you. The scenery out there is absolutely breath taking in so many areas. Good luck on your hunt!

Speedwell-Hunter

Congrats on being rewarded for your hard work! Im beyond jealous. I once got a pen, with the agencies name on it:confused:

A daily run with a 60lb pack sounds like a sure way to ruin your future elk hunt. Ive hunted/backpacked out West for a solid decade and not once can I ever remember running with a 60lb pack.

If your lung capacity is solid and your baseline fitness is above average, then the only thing IMO to combat elevation is time and hydration. Take your time, acclimate and drink plenty of fluids. Ive hit a few 12-14k peaks before and everyone one of them has been tough, you simply don't have enough air to suck. But, I took my time and allowed a couple days to acclimate before I "pushed" it.
Just last month we were in WY at 10k, my wife had a horrible elevation headache for the first day. First time its ever hit her, you just never know.

60lbs on your back is A LOT, especially with a subpar pack. I have a quality pack and Ive loaded it down a few times, North of 70lbs, and it sucks. Im normally below 50lbs packing in for overnight hunts/trips.

Whatever you do make sure to keep us in the loop. I love these adventures!
This is somewhat accurate, but the real answer is EPO shots OP. Go to the doc, get EPO, it will increase your red blood cells and hemoglobin, it is known as doping in the cycling world. Docs will do it for people going mountain climbing, etc. Check it out.

Latest posts