Got a hunt off a lifetime today

megalomaniac

Go with tiny broadheads... its all about penetration... you HAVE to drop both lungs on an elk. Only get 1, and he's going a mile before dying. I use rocket steelheads... 1 1/4 in cut. Mechanical so they fly well, but will zip thru an elk broadside.

Only shoot an elk broadside or quartering away. A quartering to shot on an elk is a lost animal.

Like said before, be confident at 50 yards. No reason not to drill one at that distance. They don't duck the string... and your target is the size of a beach ball. Wind can be a killer at distance though.

Elk just wont tolerate any human scent... always have the wind in your favor. Their eyesight isn't great if you arent moving.

Last thing... the only thing worse than killing an elk is NOT killing an elk. But jeez, they are a pain to pack out at elevation. Be comfortable quartering and deboning to minimize hauling out excess weight.

JArender

Man the place is beautiful. I have the good fortune that one of my buddies going used to be a guide there. He actually grew up with the kid who's family now owns the ranch and his brother bud now head guide! So I'm really hoping we get the red carpet rolled out for the premium spots! If
You or your buddies are going next year for early archery disregard that last sentence lol… what can I expect after a kill as far as packing out goes? I have an X2 pack that I plan on taking but if I need to upgrade due to a major haul out situation then I have no problem doing it.
then your good haha They got to everything we shot that week with atv and hauled it all out except one. that one they had to use frame packs on, that they had in camp.

I haven't been back since Dennis quit/was let go. I only know one side of it. Early season I bet the elk will be up higher than when we went during first gun. Between public pressure boarding property and snow they all moved down closer to camp. i'm not sure if they get atv that high or not.
They had just installed the walk in cooler by the skinning rack at the upper camp so that was nice to be able to bone out everything I think the lower camp had a place too??? The carniges owned it when I was there last, I was told. i'm not sure if they even have two camps now??? It was a total of 57000 acres I think at that time. My buddy I went with took all ten spots of opening gun week for several year prior to my going he pretty much got the red carpet haha. he didn't care to even shoot our hunt more of a party week for him.

About 4 weeks after season ended he called and told me he was finding a new place for us to all go and to not put in or send them a deposit if they called for the next year and we haven't went together since. He started hunting tar and sheep and dangerous 5 haha I started going elk hunting with a guy I know in cortez co and mostly just hang out at camp now.

bobbuck

Really getting excited about this thing. I'm going to improve on my optics. I have 8x40 optilogic binos now which I love. They could use some factory reconditioning but I have entertained the idea of a spotting scope. It wouldn't be used a ton, aside from this hunt or others I take like it in the future, except for scouting bean fields in the summer here at home. I'm planning to follow the other thread closely to see what everyone is recommending. For guys who have done this before do you recommend a hydration bladder in my pack (eberlestock x2) or a canteen?
Don't waste your money on spotting scope. Spend it on your binoculars. It's a guided hunt they may use a spotting scope but probably not. 10x42 Leica, Zeus, Sworavski is where I would spend the money. Bought a pair in 2000 (Leica)and still using them.

tree_ghost

Began my training regimen today. I have about 1 year before we leave. Really working on improving my cardio and endurance in this time frame. I did 30 minutes of interval treadmill work. 2 minutes @ 4mph and 2 minutes @ 7mph. Went from there to the rowboat machine. Did 10 minutes as hard as I could and went about 2000 meters. Finished off with the stair climber. Did preselected interval workout for 10 minutes. Worked up a great sweat.

Hduke86

Began my training regimen today. I have about 1 year before we leave. Really working on improving my cardio and endurance in this time frame. I did 30 minutes of interval treadmill work. 2 minutes @ 4mph and 2 minutes @ 7mph. Went from there to the rowboat machine. Did 10 minutes as hard as I could and went about 2000 meters. Finished off with the stair climber. Did preselected interval workout for 10 minutes. Worked up a great sweat.
Well grab that pack and put 70lbs in it and head on up here to work. I've got the perfect "stairclimber" that's a mile long. Starts off a little easy and becomes a killer at the top lol.

uncle_loue

tree_ghost im in the boro as well and barfield park is one of the few places around with both technical terrain (lots of tricky rocks/roots) and hills. i used it to train for 2 trips in the last 5 years (Longs Peak and another 14er Mt. Bierdstat in CO). loading up a strong pack with 40lbs and hiking 5 miles a couple of times a week in addition to my typical workout routine paid dividends. invest time hiking with trekking poles. if you don't use poles regularly its easy to develop tendinitis in your elbows - not something you want to be faced with during the hunt of a lifetime.

tree_ghost

tree_ghost im in the boro as well and barfield park is one of the few places around with both technical terrain (lots of tricky rocks/roots) and hills. i used it to train for 2 trips in the last 5 years (Longs Peak and another 14er Mt. Bierdstat in CO). loading up a strong pack with 40lbs and hiking 5 miles a couple of times a week in addition to my typical workout routine paid dividends. invest time hiking with trekking poles. if you don't use poles regularly its easy to develop tendinitis in your elbows - not something you want to be faced with during the hunt of a lifetime.
Hey that'sa great idea! I'm only about 7 minutes from there. Thanks for the input man! You ever want to get together and talk hunting let me know!

tree_ghost

Got in a couple miles of running yesterday along with some body weight calisthenics. Worked up a good sweat. Today decided to just do dumbbell lifting in the garage for some strength training.

tree_ghost

If you want to see some decent elk bow kills follow Cameron Hanes on Instagram. In fact, if you hunt, or don't hunt, follow Cameron Hanes.

And David Goggins.
I'm familiar with Cam…he's on another talk forum regularly. Not my favorite guy in the world. I'll have to check out David though can't say I've heard of him yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

uncle_loue

Got in a couple miles of running yesterday along with some body weight calisthenics. Worked up a good sweat. Today decided to just do dumbbell lifting in the garage for some strength train
Hey that'sa great idea! I'm only about 7 minutes from there. Thanks for the input man! You ever want to get together and talk hunting let me know!
hecks yeah! ill send a pm with my contact info

Latest posts