Good tip to remember

BowGuy84

Practice your hunting set up from an elevated position at all ranges.

There has been a lot of talk on here about people that shoot one pin set at 25 yards. I believe this is a very sound method except for one aspect. At about 15 yards you will see noticeably high impact if you dont compensate when shooting from a treestand. Something like 4-5 inches high from 15 foot up. There is an article about this in a recent magizine (I forget which one).

The reason for this has to do with physics and gravity always working straight down and at steep angles it is less of a force but that doesnt need to be gotten into.

I have had this thinking for awhile and always set my first pin for 17 yards. I kill more deer with this pin than any other and kill lots of deer 5-10 steps from my tree. I am not bashing the one pin @ 25 for 0-35 method at all. This is how I started my younger brother. Just passing along a little info.

BowGuy84

I agree bob. This is why I set my pins for "obscure" yardages like 28 and 38. Last year I shot my buck at 31 yards with my 28 pin. Arrow hit exactly where the pin was if not a touch higher.

I was just saying that this particular setting can lead to even higher hits that anticipated.

khawk

bobthebowhunter said:
All shots end up a little bit high for me out of a tree stand no matter the yardage. I alway aim for the heart.

I like that way of thinking. Gives you a little more room for error.

Unicam

Hoss said:
Bend at the waist or you will shoot high. Bend at the waist and don't worry about the physics.

Truth! Practice drawing back square and then bending at the waist until the target comes into the sight. Point of aim point of impact!

WTM

like i said in another thread, i set my pins from tree stand height so i dont have to worry about the trig. it shoots a little high shooting from the ground but ive only killed one deer from the ground at 4 yards. my bedroom balcony is 14ft so it makes a good practice platform.

leebowhunts

Hoss said:
Bend at the waist or you will shoot high. Bend at the waist and don't worry about the physics.
A traditinal guy taught me to bend at the waist and you dont have to worry or bend the knee closest to the target either one works.try this and you will see. I still aim alitle low like BTB says I like that shot.I shoot from 25 ft up here at home and it works great..

Latest posts