Good Ole Summit Viper

bds240

I got a summit viper and a lone wolf and sticks. They both have there place, but I'm using my summit if I know there are suitable trees for it.

TheLBLman

Why limit one's self to just one type of stand?

I do use a climber more than any other type, but different circumstances are often better served by different types of stands (or set-ups). I have a some situations where the best choice is ground blind.

Those who only hunt the same private acreage may be understandably biased towards permanent towers and ladder stands. Those who hunt public lands exclusively seem to biased towards climbers and now "saddles".

I've yet to try the "saddle" stands, but can see their appeal for certain situations. Some of the small hang-ons I have serve a similar purpose. Also have some heavier Millenium hang-ons with a seat more comfortable than a Summit climber.

Vince

I have a Viper but didn't use last year. I used a hang on stand and a box blind last year. I took the Viper when going to public land. My only issue is that it's too long of a stand that I can't take long strides with it on my back-the teeth hits my calf and hurts so I have to take small steps. May be there is a better way to carry it and I don't know. The stand with my bag on top makes it too heavy for a backpack walk in. I agree that climbing with it is easy and it's very comfortable, but getting to the spot wears me out usually.

muddyboots

I have a Viper but didn't use last year. I used a hang on stand and a box blind last year. I took the Viper when going to public land. My only issue is that it's too long of a stand that I can't take long strides with it on my back-the teeth hits my calf and hurts so I have to take small steps. May be there is a better way to carry it and I don't know. The stand with my bag on top makes it too heavy for a backpack walk in. I agree that climbing with it is easy and it's very comfortable, but getting to the spot wears me out usually.
2 things fix this. Turn straps around or tighten them up where the stand won't hang so low.

TheLBLman

2 things fix this. Turn straps around or tighten them up where the stand won't hang so low.
May take some experimentation, but this is a very fixable issue.
I commonly "nest" my pack inside the stand cavity for backpacking in/out.
You may need a longer ratchet strap than comes with the stand.
I usually configure the strap long end over long end, instead of side to side.
One long strap goes over the entire stand with my backpack (or fanny pack) in it.

Main thing is no play, no slack, and better if you have some kind of belt attachement connect the stand to your waist as well.

BSK

Those who only hunt the same private acreage may be understandably biased towards permanent towers and ladder stands. Those who hunt public lands exclusively seem to biased towards climbers and now "saddles".
And that's key Wes. I hunt only private land. We have 47 ladder or tower stands up. That's around 1 for every 12 acres. If I needed to be mobile, my old Summit Viper is the way to go. But we have so many ladders/towers I MUCH prefer the ease and quiet of slipping into a ladder than the exertion and noise of a climber.

UTGrad

Connect the backpack straps to a lower rung on the foot platform. That will position the stand higher on your back. I connected my backpack straps to the 2nd rung down and it doesn't get near my calves.

Mescalero

Connect the backpack straps to a lower rung on the foot platform. That will position the stand higher on your back. I connected my backpack straps to the 2nd rung down and it doesn't get near my calves.
That is what I did. Every year I seem to experiment with different ways or set ups to haul it in, but always come back to the same. First, I carry the climber so the "teeth" and cables are on top pointing to the sky and not to the ground. Next, I positioned the straps to the 2nd rung down. I've tried to then hang my pack on the teeth, but that really threw off my center of balance. So now I put my pack on first and then carry the climber over my pack with the climber's straps still over my shoulders. It keeps the stand off of me even more and it's still stable. I'm sure I'll experiment at home with some other technique before heading out this year.

Mescalero

Does this even work? Does anyone have the platform and seat all put together at the truck and then haul it in so that once you get to your tree all you need to do is pull out the cables and attach it? Maybe that's how everyone does it and I've been doing it wrong for 15 years!

JeepKuntry

I have a Summit Goliath. TBH I hate Summit. With Covid stands became scarce so I'll deal with my Goliath one more season for ML & gun. After that idk another climber though. Comfort is what I look for. Can't kill em if you're moving around.

UTGrad

Does this even work? Does anyone have the platform and seat all put together at the truck and then haul it in so that once you get to your tree all you need to do is pull out the cables and attach it? Maybe that's how everyone does it and I've been doing it wrong for 15 years!
My stand is nested and I take it apart quietly at tree base. As far as a pack I carry a waist pack only during bow season when I do most of my climbing. I wear my waist pack around my waist facing forward and stand on back. Works great. When I carry a backpack a lot of times I'll carry my pack in my left hand and bow in right.

Mescalero

Wha
My stand is nested and I take it apart quietly at tree base. As far as a pack I carry a waist pack only during bow season when I do most of my climbing. I wear my waist pack around my waist facing forward and stand on back. Works great. When I carry a backpack a lot of times I'll carry my pack in my left hand and bow in right.
What does "nested" mean? When I pack mine in, both the platform and upper seat are collapsed and the upper is fitted into the platform. When I get to the tree, I quietly take them apart and then screw the platform and seat bars in and then get both cabled to the tree.

Mescalero

Wha

What does "nested" mean? When I pack mine in, both the platform and upper seat are collapsed and the upper is fitted into the platform. When I get to the tree, I quietly take them apart and then screw the platform and seat bars in and then get both cabled to the tree.
Man do I feel stupid. Uncle Google showed me a video. Been doing it wrong for 15 years!!!!!! LoL.

Claims Rep.

I've got five Vipers and three Goliaths. I keep seven of them in the woods during the season, and the eighth one stays in the truck in case I want to hunt a spot other than where those seven are located. I like hunting high, and those Summit's make that possible.

Hymie3

I had to search a few places and ended up finding a viper sd in stock at bass pro. They wanted 349.00 of course compared to academy at 269.00 and sportsman's at 279.00. I had a mailer from academy for the 269.00 and bass pro priced matched I put it together last night and strapped it on. Brought a smile to my face when I did. It felt good and way lighter than what I've been carrying

Latest posts