Good investment

backyardtndeer

Bought a Frankford arsenal large tumbler on sale a few weeks ago. Had been using a hornady sonic cleaner. Had 1000 cleaned pieces of bison brass, prepped half of them and into the tumbler they went. Shiny and clean as new brass.
20211007_074919-1.jpg

Omega

Yup, the FART is hard to beat. I had resisted getting one until I seen an ad for one on sale through one of those startup mail order companies. You do have to watch out for the odd stuck pin though, had a couple that I found while sorting the headstamps.
Efdf3aN.jpg

I switched over to chips but haven't had the chance to use them yet, but I figured I would use chips in the bottlenecks and pins in the straight wall.

backyardtndeer

Yup, the FART is hard to beat. I had resisted getting one until I seen an ad for one on sale through one of those startup mail order companies. You do have to watch out for the odd stuck pin though, had a couple that I found while sorting the headstamps.
Efdf3aN.jpg

I switched over to chips but haven't had the chance to use them yet, but I figured I would use chips in the bottlenecks and pins in the straight wall.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I wondered how many pins i might have hiding in these 223 cases. Will definitely watch for stuck pins.

DaveB

You can use your polished brass as signal mirrors if you get lost.

So far with over 6,000 223 and 8,000 9mm no pins left in the brass.

I must admit to cranking that bingo-like ball quite a bit-about double what is suggested.

I run between 75-85% of suggested capacity.

TiminTn noted the peening effect on case mouths and I get that issue on all brass but Federal. Solution is a quick twist of the chamfer tool. Don't see it on 9's.

I do not SS nickle plated. However I do wet tumble them for a short period of time with this purple stuff. Really cleans them nicely. Highly recommended on all pistol cases

The Dawn I use is the Platinum variety. Hate to say it but this Dawn actually lives up to the label. Cleans the brass or SS
SAM_0198.JPG
very well and works in the kitchen also. Very good for everything but the dishwasher.
SAM_0197.JPG

backyardtndeer

First go, I did not use the packet that came with the fart, but instead used about an ounce of hornady sonic cleaning solution. I have a 32 oz bottle of the stuff, figured I may as well try it.

Had an issue with a stuck primer in this bison brass and bent my expander rod. Think I got it straightened out, but not gonna use it. Should have a new one tomorrow to get me back going, have another 750-800 pcs of 223 to prep and run through.

JRE11

I started running mine for a shorter period of time to try and leave some of the carbon on the inside of the necks. Was previously running it for hours, but know only run 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs with Dawn and Lemishine. Once clean they go in the dehydrator then they get annealer before sizing. Body die, neck collet die, final expander mandrel, then trimmed if needed.

Latest posts