Gonna try a little...

catman529

Heading out to pattern the gun, do some turkey scouting, spelunking, and try and fit in a little bit of coyote hunting as well. Down on Yanahli if anyone's gonna be out there tomorrow afternoon and sees a minivan parked by the woods it must be me.

Anyway I picked up a rabbit distress call and have learned a couple things through this forum and Youtube, and will just try a little to see if I can get a yotes attention. Will set up somwhere taking note of the wind and then call a few times, wait 10-15 minutes, then move on to another spot. Wish me luck...not going to be a serious or long hunt, just kind of testing the waters. Will be using my 12 gauge so it's 40 yards or closer or no shot.

catman529

Well I hiked a lot and saw a little turkey sign but no turkeys, and shortly after reaching the first of several large fields, I could hear someone throwing a lot of calls, rabbit distress, coyote, and a couple other distress calls, so I figured the yotes there were all smart at that point, I didn't hear anyone fire a shot... I set up a few times and called but no luck, checked the wind each time I set up and was downwind of a field most of the time, but no yotes in sight. Seems like coyote hunting is more popular than I thought... there were 3 guys leaving from some yote hunting right as I was getting out of the car, and then there were the calls I heard out in the field...better pick another spot next time. At least a few miles of hiking, it was nice, but tough hauling my heavy shotgun.

catman529

no more whole heads, I dont find them very often, and usually it's a spike or 3 point... that 170" is a fluke but it will probably be my favorite find for a very long time, unless of course I find a better one, which I doubt. I was only casually looking for sheds, didn't see any. Wasn't looking very hard though. Watching for turkeys, turkey sign, coyotes, and sinkholes most of the time.

catman529

The spot I went to, I thought would be less popular, but there were multiple yote hunters out there at the same time. Apparently there was more than once access point that I didn't know of and the acreage was pretty big. I'd say go for the smaller areas, might be less crowded.

catman529

same here. Tried once but like I said, there were other hunters throwing a lot of calls so the yotes were smart enough not to show themselves.. I never heard a gun shot either. After turkey season sometime I'll get into the squirrels and try a few more times for a yote or two. Seen a black one cross a road out in that area last year during ML season.

Latest posts