Gonna Go Old School .Bullets

Tiny

I finally found me some bullets n some original ammo Remington Bronze Points

A few yrs ago just before they dropped them n Win did the the old Silver Tips.
I had 2 full boxes of each n was gonna do it then.But didn't get 2 n somebody had to have em more than me..ERrrr.

While I dont have pic of the ammo do the bullets

Attachments

• 20190203_170019.jpg
    20190203_170019.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,115

Tiny

Somebody over crimped one.
150gr n 180gr

Attachments

• 20190203_165212.jpg
    20190203_165212.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,109

Tiny

Have a ol 725 these shot great in the last. Factory but ....Dang Thieves.

Hunter 257W

I've known of them for years but don't recall exactly how they are constructed. Is that bronze tip just a shell over a conventional lead tip or it is more like the tip on a current Nosler Ballistic Tip that sits down in a hollow cavity? I recall my cousin using Winchester Silver Tips in 30-30 years ago and getting surprisingly destructive results on deer for such a modest velocity cartridge.

I love the old bullet boxes. I keep most all my boxes for bullets and powder.

Tiny

Hunter 257W":fyxribgd said:
I've known of them for years but don't recall exactly how they are constructed. Is that bronze tip just a shell over a conventional lead tip or it is more like the tip on a current Nosler Ballistic Tip that sits down in a hollow cavity? I recall my cousin using Winchester Silver Tips in 30-30 years ago and getting surprisingly destructive results on deer for such a modest velocity cartridge.

I love the old bullet boxes. I keep most all my boxes for bullets and powder.

While I dont for fact here Have read a good deal on both the old Silver Tip n Bronze Pt
My understanding in both is A metal tip out of alum.colered silver or bronze. Originally used to "delay" expansion n protect the bullets nose allowing penetration before exspansion.If memory serves both are setting on top of the lead core..
I have heard the Bronze point was a company out of Canada that Remington / Peter's got with for US import into there ammo line.
The silver tip did undergo design changes over time... not sure on the bronze point.
Both were said to hive John Nolser the ideal of the Ballistic Tip to there Solid Base line..More so the Bronze Point than the Silver Tip..
Have heard good n bad over time on both. some swear by them others hate em..

While I have never seen any that I recall do know Remington at 1 time had em in 30/30 30 Rem etc.etc.etc.an certain weights n calibers in there line. Ending up with 150 n 180 gr 30/06 @2900 + n 130 270Win.

While I dont know for sure I do believe Win. Deer Season line is a revamped Silver Tip
Plastic tip vs Alu.
I have no ideal on them but the Browning version with nickel shot darn good in 2 of my 06s recently..

I May have some older Remington boxes or catalog that goes into more detail on the Bronze Point design...somewhere LOL

BTW I have mentioned for info on such to couple gun writers nothing back yet anyway nor expect.

I Mentioned on another thread,n here I have 5 boxes of original ammo bronze points. 1 of those has another ring just forward of the crimping groove kinda like the older Hornady Interlocks did. When Time allows n I think of will investigate them n try to cut one down if possible to see if any difference.

Hunter 257W

I would have thought the Winchester Deer Season XP bullets were a copy of the old Silver Tips too but looking at their website it is a totally different concept. The Deer Season bullet has a larger flat nose on the end of the actual bullet with a plastic tip sitting on top of the lead core, the two pieces held together only by the jacket. In other words, it's not a hollow point where the cavity holds the tip to the rest of the bullet. First thing that jumped out at me when i looked at the design is how similar it is to a lot of cast bullets designed for hunting which rely on a large meplate to transfer energy rather than just expansion. Having seen how effective the cast bullets can be even a modest velocity, I have no doubt the Winchester Deer Season ammo will work well.

I have old catalogs from back in the 1970's too but finding them when I want to is a whole different matter. That's the problem with keeping everything. How do you organize it so that you can search through it? :)

If you have 5 boxes of the ammo and it shoots good in your rifle, that's enough to hunt with for years. You can use other ammo for regular shooting.

Tiny

HUNTER You said the truth on finding it when you want 2...Thought I was the only1 who had that problem..LOL

Latest posts