Golf Course Drama

jag1

CA's golf joke got me to thinking about a story from back in the day.

Just a week or so before I graduated from Tech years ago, a fellow wildlife major approached me and several others about a situation at his place of employment. Seems the Canada goose situation had gotten out of hand and the head honcho had approached TWRA about coming in and getting rid of them. Word was there would be a cost involved which head honcho wasn't keen on paying.
The employee told his boss, I've got some buddies that can take care of this for us.
He told us the problem and asked if we'd come out to shoot the geese. I was the only one with any duck hunting experience and said I'm out but I'll go along for the ride.
We showed up early one morning, about five of us. One guy had a bow and wanted to shoot a goose with it before anybody else. I was in charge of the videoing of this fiasco. We loaded up in the parking lot in two golf carts loaded to the teeth...of course all the boys had the proper licensing. Now to find the geese. We had to drive for about 10 minutes down the cart paths passing and waving to golfers as we went before we finally found them. They were grazing off of a green which had a pond located beside it and had two golfers putting on the green. We sat there and let them finish the hole and I'm sure they were thinking what the heck are these guys doing. Well, there next hole was around the corner and out of sight. We swooped down on those geese, me videoing, my buddy launching an arrow and when he did all Hades busted loose. Those geese got to honking and flying and those boys were shooting! I wish I could have seen the looks on those guys faces when it all went down.

jag1

Yep, I was there from 93-95. I'm sure those golfers needed a change of pants. I wish somebody could have video the guys hanging off the golf carts with their shotguns. What a scene.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Benji Huckaby
    "Had to belly crawl 200 yards to try and get in range and needed to get...
    • Benji Huckaby
    • Updated: