Golden Retriever scared me real good.

Kirk

I had my Collie and Golden Retriever out in the woods behind the house this afternoon. The Collie is 10, the Golden is 8 years old.

He is non stop, hyperactivity, all the time. He ran all the ridges, jumped the logging road, raced my four wheeler. Looked like a 2 year old puppy out there.

Got back to the house and he laid down in the shade. I got a big bucket of water for him. When he stoop up he started dragging his back leg, his front leg went limp on him and he fell over. I thought he had died.

He wasn't breathing funny or anything. A few minutes later he was back to his old hyper active self. I am keeping a watch on him and will probably take him the vet tomorrow just to have him checked out. He seems ok right now but you never know.

Kirk

Re: Golden Retirever scared me real good.

That is what it appeared to be. I was about 50 yards away from him when he fell over. By the time I got to him he was limping toward me sort of stretched out looking.

Nimrod777

Supporter

First things that come to mind are stroke/dog version of a TIA, or heat exhaustion. Seems young and too active to lean towards the latter.

Kirk

He is sort of fat. He might have over done it and was just exhausted. Don't want to even consider a stroke. :eek:

Nimrod777

Supporter

We had a miniature poodle that stroked one Labor Day wknd up at Fall Creek Falls during a camping trip. Didn't recognize it for what it was at the time. She stumbled and went down. Scooped her up and made over her a bit, then she seemed better. Did it again the next day. Went downhill pretty fast over the next year. But she was 15. Could have been a combo of her age and the heat.

I'm with you and betting it was due to overexertion. I wonder if you were to google info, you could find a list of checks to rule out stroke.

bvoss

My golden has the same issues. He is about 7. The vet says they are seizures, and that as long as the frequency doesn't increase he should be fine.

fishboy1

2nd on the seizures. Had a lab that got them. It sucked, poor dog didn't know what was happening and was scared. I would hold him and talk him through it. Seemed to help. Was exhausted the rest of the day afterward.

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled

:(

Kirk

Everything checked out ok at the Vet. Theory is he just got over exerted.(due to heat, weight and activity) He weighs 94 pounds which is sort of chunky for him. He is on a diet now. His target weight is 78 pounds.

He seems like his old self for the past two days.

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled

Glad to hear it man. :D