Going to buy a pop up blind...advice?

P

poorhunter

I have $160 of Christmas money to spend on a blind, and wanted some advice on which one. I take so many kids both turkey and deer hunting that I really think I need one anymore. I'm hoping to hit Rural King at the right time and get one on sale, but that may not work out. Anyone hunt out of an Ameristep? They have an Elite series blind that retails for around $140 that looks good. I'd love to get one of those $400 ones, but not in the cards for a poorhunter.

double browtine

double browtine

Academy sells one that has a zip out floor. I think it is an Ameristep brand. Having the floor is real nice to Keep out bugs and critters.

Roost 1

Roost 1

Check out the Herters blinds at Cabelas. They usually go on sale for $60 and at 11lbs you can’t beat them. 2 grown ups can fit inside fairly comfortably.

P

PalsPal

You will definitely need one of the bigger ones to accommodate more than one person with two chairs and gear.

Also I would advise to not leave it sat up if bad weather looms. Even with having them tied down high winds can tear the fabric.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
I have an Ameristep that is a few years old. It's windows are similar to that of the Double Bull but they don't make it anymore. This one is close and quite roomy. https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-Sanctu ... B01BE8GF0A
What I like is the windows open from the middle up and down. This way, you can adjust the height of the opening and amount of opening. There is a video in the above link that shows this. With a lot of blinds, the window opens from the top down so if you need the lower portion open then the whole window must be opened. Not good.
If you can put $60 more dollars with it you can get a double bull which has the previously described desirable windows.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XD5J6IG/re ... rd_w=t5v1S
If you buy a good blind and take care of it, it will last a long time.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
I have a Herter's I paid $100 for. I love the window design but not sure how long it will last. I also have a Blackout 72. I hate it. I used to have an Ameristep I liked pretty well. Whatever you get, get a hub style.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

B

BlackBelt

MidwayUSA (online) usually has their blinds on sale this time of year. I would check them out first because their clearance sales prices are the best I've seen.

Pic IN the Casa

Pic IN the Casa

PalsPal":1e7ldcsg said:
You will definitely need one of the bigger ones to accommodate more than one person with two chairs and gear.

Also I would advise to not leave it sat up if bad weather looms. Even with having them tied down high winds can tear the fabric.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

This.
If it says 2 man it's a one man.

My other advice would be if you can possibly wait until after the season you may be able to get two at discounted prices.

Roost 1

Roost 1

Spurhunter":81xl2r2d said:
I have a Herter's I paid $100 for. I love the window design but not sure how long it will last. I also have a Blackout 72. I hate it. I used to have an Ameristep I liked pretty well. Whatever you get, get a hub style.

The Herters blind have the best windows. They are like curtains, you can slide them open as much or little as you like AND they also adjust from top to bottom. I’d buy 4 of these before I’d buy another double bull and I like my Double bull but it’s quite heavy. You won’t be disappointed with the Herters. I would not recommend the Herters if you were wanting to bow hunt out of it.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
I was in Dicks Sporting Goods after Christmas a few years ago and picked up a Double Bull for $160. Shop around at this time, you never know what you will find.

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

I had an Ameristep doghouse that was usable a good 8 years, being left out the whole time. I wouldn’t hesitate buying another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

Quick tip:
If you bow hunt, rethink sizes.
I have two pop-ups, both say they are 2 man. But one is significantly smaller, and I can't get a full draw without my elbow hitting the back wall and the top of the limb almost touches the roof.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
Roost 1":8vm58f4h said:
Spurhunter":8vm58f4h said:

The Herters blind have the best windows. They are like curtains, you can slide them open as much or little as you like AND they also adjust from top to bottom.

And they are quiet. Most blinds have velcro. I hate velcro on anything I'm taking in the woods.

edtcase

edtcase

I have a Barnett that is really nice. Two people in it no problem.

P

poorhunter

Spurhunter":1w63aixd said:
Roost 1":1w63aixd said:
Spurhunter":1w63aixd said:

The Herters blind have the best windows. They are like curtains, you can slide them open as much or little as you like AND they also adjust from top to bottom.

And they are quiet. Most blinds have velcro. I hate velcro on anything I'm taking in the woods.

Going to have to really think about the Herters for sure. I do not plan on bow hunting out of it.

P

pb10point

Check the size and make sure you get one big enough or you won't be satisfied with it. I bought one from Sportsman Guide on sale for$98 regular $299.

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

edtcase":bak8bbeb said:
I have a Barnett that is really nice. Two people in it no problem.

That is my bigger blind. Have had it for over 5 years now, still works great.