Going back in time tomorrow: Dad’s rifle

encore06

encore06

Tomorrow morning I will be carrying my Dad’s rifle: a Model 94 30.30, the Canadian Centennial Edition with the octagon barrell. Due to limited hunting season and resources, Dad never was able to squeeze off a shot at a deer. Tomorrow I’m hoping to break it in and get a shot at a doe at close range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUP

MUP

Supporter
Good luck Carl! It's a special feeling when you take your Dad's rifle out and connect with it. Not to hijack your thread, but I did it back in 2010 with my Dad's ol Model 742 Woodsmaster 30-06. He passed in 1998.

Thanksgiving Day to boot. VERY special hunt.

encore06

encore06

Well, I hate to admit this, but I missed a doe at 75 yards. Reminds me why I don’t hunt with iron sights. She stood still while I worked another shell in before she ran off. I’ll stick it out for a while longer and maybe another will come through

encore06

encore06

MUP":16n3088c said:
Good luck Carl! It's a special feeling when you take your Dad's rifle out and connect with it. Not to hijack your thread, but I did it back in 2010 with my Dad's ol Model 742 Woodsmaster 30-06. He passed in 1998.

Thanksgiving Day to boot. VERY special hunt.
man, that’s awesome!!!

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
encore06":2ku1apne said:
Well, I hate to admit this, but I missed a doe at 75 yards. Reminds me why I don’t hunt with iron sights. She stood still while I worked another shell in before she ran off. I’ll stick it out for a while longer and maybe another will come through

I would love to master iron sights one day but after being taught with a scope, it does make a difference and hard to go back in time. Hate that you missed but hang in there and see if you get another chance.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
My dad has a 94 with top eject (no scope).He bought it in the early 80's. My son has been threatening to take it out this year and kill a deer with it. Would be a pretty special event. I feel certain you will make good on that miss.

S

Sucarnochee

My grandad had that exact same gun given to him as a gift one year from place he worked. My brother killed a big 9 Pt with it one year. Think that’s only shot ever taken at a deer with it. My uncle who is big liberal anti gun ended up with the gun when my grandfather passed. Still pisses me off 20 years later. Might add my grandad told everyone do not let his son get any of his guns when he passed but he did. Hope you kill a big one and post up pics