"God" particle found???

TennesseeRains

My only question at this point would be...just who made the particle(s)?

GENEVA (AP) - Physicists said Thursday they are now confident they have discovered a crucial subatomic particle known as a Higgs boson - a major discovery that will go a long ways toward helping them explain why the universe is the way it is.

They made the statement following study of the data gathered last year from the world's largest atom-smasher, which lies beneath the Swiss-French border outside Geneva. The European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, said that what they found last year was, indeed, a version of what is popularly referred to as the "God particle."

Joe Incandela, who heads one of the two main teams at CERN that each involve several thousand scientists, said in a statement that "it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is."

The long-theorized subatomic particle would explain why matter has mass and has been considered a missing cornerstone of physics.

Last July, scientists with the world's largest atom-smasher announced finding a particle they described as Higgs-like.

huntinkev

They spend alot of time, effort, and a whole lot of money to try and disprove something and they have never been able to.
What should that tell them if they are supposed to be so smart.

Give up, There is a God and He did create all of this! Just accept the facts and move on.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Gut Bucket said:
Science seems to scare/bother a lot of folks. Regardless of any religious beliefs, the universe operates in many ways that can be explained. Superstitions cannot be proven so people can believe whatever they want.

This is correct, but also remember that on the other hand, there are many things that people believe and accept as scientific "fact" are merely theories, held up by other theories, and the list goes on. Science rarely "proves" anything, but it often "supports" things. For this reason, science truly is a religion to many people. But there are many things in the universe that cannot be explained, and never will be.

pledbetter

There have been a few times i've had someone ask me , "how do you know God is real?"
My answer is always the same , I tell them to come hunting with me one morning and watch the world wake up , then ask me the same question , lol.
That's my answer when i'm asked that question , but thet can never answer me when I ask them how they dont believe in God.

AT Hiker

Poser said:
Rob R. said:
ferg said:
Yea - sure they did - and some day, when God's tired of folks 'playing god' He'll put an end to it, all of it ;)

Im with you ferg!!

Boy, that's a swell attitude. If Newton, Einstein, Pasteur, Copernicus, Darwin, Da Vinci and a few other individuals had followed that philosophy, we might still be living in the Dark Ages.

It is shortsighted and possibly a bit self indulgent to think that the motivating factor behind science is to disprove the notion of God. I would think to the contrary: the more you understand about the universe and its inner workings, the more you understand about God. At the very least, it is of no more threat to religion than understanding that the Earth is not the center of the universe, how gravity works, the practice of Alchemy, advanced technology, mico biology, biology in general, understanding bacteria, medical treatment, nano technology, etc (the list goes on), all of which benefit every member of this forum in direct and indirect manners without suffering the loss of a single ounce of faith.

The term the "God Particle" is not even a scientific name. That's just what the press calls it because it is more explanatory than the "Higgs Boson." This is a (missing link) cornerstone of physics that Eisenstein was onto. It is a big deal.

I agree, but during the times of those great scientist they didnt have the liberal media twisting it either. "God Particle" is a slap in the face IMO.

WMAn

AT Hiker said:
I agree, but during the times of those great scientist they didnt have the liberal media twisting it either. "God Particle" is a slap in the face IMO.

Quick boys get a gun and shoot your tv, take a hammer to that iPhone, and somebody get me a match we need to burn these newspapers. The liberal media is out to twist our minds and eat our children.

My only question is if I take a member of the liberal media, tie him up, and throw him in the water. Will he float? If he does, you know what that means? They're witches! ;)

WMAn

All joking aside, in response to Poser's point, we need science. I think what all too often what we miss out on is the connection between knowing something, knowing why it's important, and how to make it beneficial.

Regardless of what you believe, it's important that everyone realize that we are a small part of something much bigger than ourselves. This fact eludes many whose faith is in God or whose faith is in science or anything else.

Also, regardless of your beliefs, there's always a chance that you might be wrong.

And Poser, Pasteur? The germ theory. C'mon man! You can come up with a better example than that of good science. Or maybe good science that hasn't been taken too far. Pasteur is more of Redblood's kind of science. Pasteur is not for the rare meat crowd, like you and I.

TAFKAP

huntinkev said:
Give up, There is a God and He did create all of this! Just accept the facts and move on.

God and science are not mutually exclusive, even if religion thinks they are. If our ancestors had adopted this mentality centuries ago, we wouldn't have the lives we have. Having an understanding of our universe, our planet, our bodies, our environment, etc. doesn't have to fly in the face of religion.

ferg

I have no issue with science - my only point was, at some point, when God has had enough, He'll put a stop to it.

And for the record it should 'god particle' (small 'g' in by book)

BamaProud

Supporter
Poser said:
The term the "God Particle" is not even a scientific name. That's just what the press calls it because it is more explanatory than the "Higgs Boson." This is a (missing link) cornerstone of physics that Eisenstein was onto. It is a big deal.

That's just what the press calls it because it is more CONTROVERSIAL than...

BamaProud

Supporter
ferg said:
I have no issue with science - my only point was, at some point, when God has had enough, He'll put a stop to it.

And for the record it should 'god particle' (small 'g' in by book)

Why would God get tired of it and put a stop to it?

Science and religion don't have to be at odds with each other. The simplest explanation that works for either side IMO is that God made everything the way he did to challenge us. He created a big puzzle that we are trying to figure out. Who knows, if or when we figure it all out, our "prize" may be eternal euphoric life with God. Heaven.

AT Hiker

WMAn said:
AT Hiker said:

Quick boys get a gun and shoot your tv, take a hammer to that iPhone, and somebody get me a match we need to burn these newspapers. The liberal media is out to twist our minds and eat our children.

My only question is if I take a member of the liberal media, tie him up, and throw him in the water. Will he float? If he does, you know what that means? They're witches! ;)

Cool...I guess I struck a nerve or something

Rob R.

My oh my what have I missed. I dont have a problem with science at all. Most all the things we have today are because of some kind of science. What I do have a problem with is scientist trying to discredit or disprove that there is God. Not a god but the one and only God! The thought that all we are and all we have is because of a theory (Big Bang)! Please!!
As for the "God" particle found. Here is how I look at that. Genesis 1:27 says "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them" NIV. Isn't it possible that you and I and every human being that is, has ever been or will ever be has some "God" particle in ourselves or themselves?
Maybe the folks that claimed to have found a "God" particle have been looking in all the wrong places. Maybe they should have been looking in the mirror.

BamaProud

Supporter
Rob R. said:
What I do have a problem with is scientist trying to discredit or disprove that there is God.

I have never seen any theory, experiment, hypothesis, or otherwise that set out to disprove there is a God. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have seen God mentioned in any scientific writing at all.

Latest posts