Gobblin' and Struttin' Like Crazy This Morning

jlmustain

I saw a lot of strutting and heard a lot gobbling this morning in Bedford and Rutherford Counties. One, in Rutherford, gobbled at everything - crows, passing cars, me slapping my dash (ha!). As I've said before in this forum, I'm new to this, but from what I've studied and learned, it seems like there's been a lot of that a little earlier than I'd anticipated. In y'all's experience, is that true? If it is, does that change your opening weekend tactics?

jlmustain

Man, that's good to know. I was a little unsure, and it's hard to know how to interpret such regionally specific info (i.e. phase info' from an article written by a guy in Ohio vs. a guy in AL, or NM, or wherever).

What happened last year?

Gravey

It was an odd morning for me. I was lifting weights in my little building and had one gobble a couple of times at 6:25 and then another one lit it up at 6:45. I had to go to Franklin and normally see a ton of them on hwy 96 between Triune and I-65 but didn't see the first one. Saw about 30 yesterday morning with 5 strutters right down from the house. Ony problem is I can't hunt them.

Andy S.

jlmustain said:
What happened last year?
Very mild winter and warmest spring on record in the last century. Foliage was full leaf way ahead of schedule just as the turkeys were in the areas I hunt in west and middle TN. If I could have hunted two weeks straight last year, it would have been the week before juvenile and the week after as they were on fire when I was out there scouting during these times.

Layne

I hunted in MS this morning not far south of TN and for the first morning didn't hear a single bird gobble. It is definitely behind last year which is good for TN but not so good in MS.

Uncle Jesse

I killed one opening day last year, then hunted till noon for about 6 days straight. I never saw any bearded turkeys during those 6 days, only hens. I ended up getting on a group of jakes toward the end of april, but the only long beard I saw all season was the one I killed.

I don't see how it could get much worse than last year :D

Juvenile hunt was awesome though.

Latest posts