Gobblers with muzzleloading shotguns

utvolsfan77

Any members here have experience hunting turkeys (or ducks) using muzzleloading shotguns? I've used muzzleloading rifles for squirrel and deer hunting for over 40 years, but I have no experience at all with muzzleloading shotguns and could use all the help I can get. What all do you need to get started and where do you find supplies?

crawford3546

Muzzleloaders are all I used for years. I have a T/C System One 12 g. I have to order wads and cards since Bass Pro doesn't carry what ordinary people want these days. It definitely is a blast to shoot. I shoot about 2 1/4 oz of 6 shot with 100 grains of FFg.

utvolsfan77

Muzzleloaders are all I used for years. I have a T/C System One 12 g. I have to order wads and cards since Bass Pro doesn't carry what ordinary people want these days. It definitely is a blast to shoot. I shoot about 2 1/4 oz of 6 shot with 100 grains of FFg.
I just got an old percussion 16-gauge side in an online auction, and I pick it up tomorrow in Knoxville. It is a side by side made by a Thomas Kent in London. Wood stock has expected dings and scratches, but the metal appears to be in relatively decent shape
03.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
despite the blueing being 90% gone.

As mentioned earlier, I've shot muzzleloading rifles for more than 40 years, but have never shot a muzzleloading shotgun before. I know absolutely nothing about them, so this will a totally new learning experience for me. I'm assuming I'll have to use some type of patch or cork over the shot to hold it in place, but do folks use a wad like you would if you are reloading shotshells.

I'm also leaning toward lighter loads for obvious safety reasons, so after a bit of range time, any shots at a tom would be limited to 25 yards or less.

If you have time, would you mind describing the process you use and listing what all equipment and supplies I'm going to have to get?

paboom

I sold mine after getting tired of being beat to death with them. That was before TSS was widely available.

The Knight is a dandy ML shotgun if you can find one. The New Englander is my favorite and would love to find another one but they are next to impossible to find.

crawford3546

There's not much different that you are going to need. The only big difference is loading powder and installing the wad, pour in shot and install a card over it. I use about a 3/16 cardboard wad and an overshot card that is the thickness of a poster board. I was using a fiber wad and it was burning up and blowing the pattern.
Congratulations on the rabbit ear...I have always wanted a double, just haven't made the big leap.

utvolsfan77

Meant to ask you this the last time but forgot. Was your muzzleloading shotgun a modern manufactured one or was it an original like the one above? Reason I ask is for safety reasons. I'm a bit leery of loading too heavy a charge so I plan to start out on the lower end and work up.

I reload and know the signs to look for in developing too high of pressure, but how does one equate this to a muzzleloading shotgun other than an Elmer Fudd barrel?