Go to call

knightrider

The funniest thing about leaf scratching... is that noone actually scratches the leaves the way a real wild turkey does. Not saying it doesn't work when you donit wrong.... but when you do it right, it can make a difference. It's not 'SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH', it's 'scratch, scratch....scratch, scratch...step, step'. The hens scratch once or twice with each leg, then take two steps back to see what they uncovered.... I guess I've spent WAY too much time with them :)
Actually its three swipes, its always right foot, left foot, than right again

Hduke86

The sound of a 50# bag of wal mart corn being opened and poured on the ground. Lol JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING. I'm horrible at mouth calls cause 95% of the time I have a chew in so I either choke on my chew or sound like a cat stuck in a serpentine belt on a cold morning when starting your truck. Most of the time it's going to be a simple wingbone and a stick to kick the leaves and then sit still.

Rakkin6

So to strike up a bird I like my Long ox from TJ Johnson or Fulkerson Hen Box. I switch them up throughout the year. Just depends on which one I grab that day. But once I close the distance I will generally go to a pot call. Honestly it depends on which pot I am carrying also. I love slate but later in the season when it getsore humid I don't carry them has much.

AT Hiker

My mouth call and just letting him know I'm there.
If it's a super hot bird on un pressured ground, and I'm confident the property around him hasn't been pressured, then I'm probably gonna have fun with him and see what I can get away with on calling.

Plateau Hunter

A custom box call made of walnut and poplar from my grandparents place built by Albert Paul…it sounds so good it makes even me somewhat dangerous to a gobbler…

Attachments

• 79BEF8B5-34D3-4977-9786-8F5DDA4D1CDA.png
    79BEF8B5-34D3-4977-9786-8F5DDA4D1CDA.png
    651.8 KB · Views: 55

woodsman04

Usually a homemade turned tube call
Made out of cedar. Sounds different from other calls and works and it's old school.

Also use mouths, pots, boxes, i don't give a crap plus leave scratching.

Just don't call too much. A couple of yelp series and a cluck or two is all it takes if your set up right and he ain't got hens with him.

Derek

I like to take a slate and lay it on the ground next to me. Then VERY light yelps and putts.
Sitting it on the ground seems to muffle the sound a little and keep movement to a minimum.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I have a Primos Jackpot Slate call that I bought when they first came out that has claimed a bunch of birds. The newer ones sound nothing like it.

TN hunter

The funniest thing about leaf scratching... is that noone actually scratches the leaves the way a real wild turkey does. Not saying it doesn't work when you donit wrong.... but when you do it right, it can make a difference. It's not 'SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH', it's 'scratch, scratch....scratch, scratch...step, step'. The hens scratch once or twice with each leg, then take two steps back to see what they uncovered.... I guess I've spent WAY too much time with them :)
Mega,
You're exactly right about the sequence of scratching leaves. Great point.

Latest posts