Glock 19 - Gen 3 or 4?

infoman jr.

I'm looking for a Glock 19 for my wife. I've heard some negative things about the Gen 4s in certain models. Does anyone have any experience with either?

paincave_2000

I don't have a gen 4 but know people that do and some have experienced issues.I've got 2 gen 3's and have never had any problems with either one.Get a gen 3 IF you can find one at a reasonble price and don't look back.

infoman jr.

I've heard similar stories, but with my line of work, I'm wary of potential internet tales. I'd like to get a gen 4 so I can reduce the back strap to fit her hand. I'll be trading a two tone 1911 for one hopefully.

BIGORANGE

The Gen 4 will be a better fit for smaller hands. The trigger reach is 2mm shorter than the Gen 3. They had some issues early on but they seem to be good to go now.

fastbs

the short and sweet story. "get a gen 4"

now for the long story....
Glock had a recall on the recoil spring assembly with the first production run models. If you find a deal on a used one just call glock and if yours is on the list they will mail you the newer revised recoil spring assembly.
here's the link to glock explaining this.
http://us.glock.com/customer-service/re ... g-exchange

If you get a new one they've been fixed for a while so you shouldn't see any problems.
After handling the gen 4 I traded my gen3 17 and 26 immediately for the gen 4 models. Got the 17 used and it was on the recall list. Glock had the revised recoil spring assembly in my mail box within a week. Keep in mind I had no problems with the original.
Also there are visible design differences you can look for in the recoil spring assembly before you buy. heres a youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ojw6LDibs

Now if I were to stumble over a deal on a used gen 3 I wouldn't hesitate to scoop it up, but the gen 4 changes to me worth another $75-$100 over the gen 3.

Spikes Tactical

I have a Gen3 17 and a Gen4 19. Haven't had a single problem with either. I have to agree with BIGORANGE - the Gen4 fits better in my small hands, specially after I changed the back straps.

Just my 2 cents...

Jp

infoman jr.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm pretty familiar with the differences in the 3 and 4 having owned a Gen4 31 and currently own Gen 3 22 and 34. I'll look for a Gen 4. I like that they come with 3 magazines as well.