Give me the Time of Day

jakeway

I'd like to know what time of day you shoot most of your deer.

I realize that it depends greatly on where and how you hunt. For instance, most of my deer stands are situated on trails where deer head to bedding grounds after feeding, making them better in mornings. Plus, when I get a deer in the morning, I usually don't go back out in the afternoon.

I've killed 74 deer since 1975. For me:

Dawn to 9 am 64%
9-11 am 13%
3 pm-Dark 23%

I've never killed a deer between 11 am and 3 pm, though I've killed one at 10:45 and one at 3:10.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Most of mine have been before 9 o'clock, though almost none of my opportunities have been right at the start of shooting light.

I have shot 3 within the last 30 minutes of shooting light, and snuck up on and killed a mountain 10-point in his bed on a windy, bright day about 12:30pm (in other words, I wouldn't have seen him if I were stationary in those windy conditions).

Jcalder

First 3 hours of daylight have been good to me, with the majority of those coming in the first hour, but not right at daylight. And 4 pm +/- 15 minutes has been great as well.

catman529

I'd have to go back and look. Most of my deer are in the first two hours and last two hours of daylight. Have killed a few mid day.

SteveJ

70% were shot from daylight till 10 am. 20% were probably the last hour of daylight and the other 10% were 11am to 1 pm. That being said, I like hunting mornings most. I used to hunt a lot of evenings but not much anymore just due to schedule. I very rarely hunt mid-day

MUP

There are two time frames that stick out.

Between 8-9 am, and 3:30-4:30 pm. There have been others at odd times, and several at midday, but those two hours have been best for me.
I'd have to say I'm about dead on the same LL, very few deer have been killed before 8:30 for me, and for some reason the evening hunts seem to have deer moving at about 3:30-4:00 for me as well.

Latest posts