Getting ready!

megalomaniac

Made up 2 gallons of 0.6% permethrin drench, soaked and dried all my socks, pants, and shirts for the season.

Went out to the lease past 2 mornings before work to listen... didn't hear a gobble either morn, but found some fresh tracks.

Hitting national forest this weekend to look for fresh sign. Next week is juvie hunt down here, then I get to play for real in a week and a half! Gonna be slam worn out and 10lbs lighter in 2.5 months :)

megalomaniac

Believe it or not I have a checklist I use for turkey and deer season every year. It does help out so I don't forget anything.

A checklist would prob help with some of my stuff...Believe it or not I hiked over a mile into a spot that was 3 miles in last year before I realized I left my gun in the truck. Crap like that doesn't happen often, but enough to make me chuckle at myself. It drives my wife crazy tho... at least once a week I can't find my wallet or car keys before work and have to ask her where I left them :)

megalomaniac

What do you do buy concentrated and mix with water? Is there a formula you use? I know this stuff is strong. I have always sprayed mine, but soaking has got to be better. Thanks.
I go to TSC or any farm supply and buy the concentrate... 36 to 40% depending on manufacturer.

Then dilute down to between 0.5 to 0.75%. Works out to around 2oz of concentrate per gallon or so. Doesn't have to be exact, just close. Around $4 for 2 gal diluted, then I usually have a half gallon or gallon left over and put that in a spray bottle and spray my outer layers, hat, boots, ghillie top, etc. I do wear rubber gloves while soaking and wringing out my clothes.

But I want the clothes against my skin DRENCHED in the stuff.

Over 180 miles in the spring woods last year, no telling how many hours. Did not get one single tick or chigger bite on me.

RobDooley

I go to TSC or any farm supply and buy the concentrate... 36 to 40% depending on manufacturer.

Then dilute down to between 0.5 to 0.75%. Works out to around 2oz of concentrate per gallon or so. Doesn't have to be exact, just close. Around $4 for 2 gal diluted, then I usually have a half gallon or gallon left over and put that in a spray bottle and spray my outer layers, hat, boots, ghillie top, etc. I do wear rubber gloves while soaking and wringing out my clothes.

Over 180 miles in the spring woods last year, no telling how many hours. Did not get one single tick or chigger bite on me.
thanks for sharing, I appreciate it. One more question...how long do you let them soak? Thanks again.

Displaced_Vol

I've always just sprayed but am considering soaking this year then touching up the outer layer with a spray bottle if I feel I need it later.

Chiflyguy

A checklist would prob help with some of my stuff...Believe it or not I hiked over a mile into a spot that was 3 miles in last year before I realized I left my gun in the truck. Crap like that doesn't happen often, but enough to make me chuckle at myself. It drives my wife crazy tho... at least once a week I can't find my wallet or car keys before work and have to ask her where I left them :)
Lol

Andy S.

Believe it or not I have a checklist I use for turkey and deer season every year. It does help out so I don't forget anything.
Same here, in my iPhone notes and sent to my personal email just incase I were to lose my phone. Been using "this list" for years, mainly for archery and turkey season, when I have been away from the woods for a bit. As a minimum, it is a starting point for me to reference when I am in a time crunch to get prepared.

AT Hiker

Some special forces friends of mine introduced me to soaking clothing in that stuff. I used to have some legit military grade, I think it was 100%, that you mixed in a tub and soaked your clothes.
I used to have a pair of BDUs that was treated from the factory that came with one of the bottles.

Rakkin6

Same here, in my iPhone notes and sent to my personal email just incase I were to lose my phone. Been using "this list" for years, mainly for archery and turkey season, when I have been away from the woods for a bit. As a minimum, it is a starting point for me to reference when I am in a time crunch to get prepared.
Exactly, what I have will get me in the woods no problem. I just adjust the list to fit me.

eddie c

Stuff is good around the house for insects also.
Sprayed a wasp nest a couple of times when out of wasp spray. Didn't kill them right off but they couldn't fly straight to sting me.

megalomaniac

Stuff is good around the house for insects also.
Sprayed a wasp nest a couple of times when out of wasp spray. Didn't kill them right off but they couldn't fly straight to sting me.
No doubt... I usually spray my garage once a year with it to keep down flies and spiders. You can also spray the bushes around your house to reduce mosquitoes.

utvolsfan77

Mega, I've been using the Sawyers in the yellow spray bottle for several years. I'll typically take the pants from my outer layer and hang up outside on my south facing deck with the legs spread out flat. Then I'll begin at the waist band, spraying heavily enough to fully saturate the cloth, front and back, down to about the knees. Gravity usually takes it from the knees down to the bottom hem. If it doesn't, I'll spray in spots as necessary. Then I'll let them hang in direct sunlight and air dry. Normally will take 4 to 6 hours to fully dry, depending upon temperature and amount of sunlight. During spring turkey season, I usually don't launder my bibs until the end of the season unless I get them muddy. During archery season in the fall, I'll wash clothing more frequently for scent control purposes, and will respray when and if necessary. I've been using this routine over 10 years and rarely do I ever get a tick on me during spring turkey season or September and October during archery season for deer.

Last edited: