Getting into fly tying

Rollo

I'd like to start tying my own, mostly streamers, poppers and wooley boogers for now (mostly bass stuff). Plan on taking some classes for more advanced stuff in the near future. What kind of station would y'all recommend getting to get started? Ease into it? or go big or go home? Thanks!

Buzzard Breath

Go big, or go home. You're going to end up with a large portion of a room dedicated to fly tying anyway, so you might as well just start there. You'll quickly have multiple lights, cabinets, drawers, and just random boxes of "stuff" laying around. This is my area, just cleaned. I'm switching over to tying small stuff for an upcoming trout trip.

20220706_092959.jpg

MickThompson

Go big, or go home. You're going to end up with a large portion of a room dedicated to fly tying anyway, so you might as well just start there. You'll quickly have multiple lights, cabinets, drawers, and just random boxes of "stuff" laying around. This is my area, just cleaned. I'm switching over to tying small stuff for an upcoming trout trip.

View attachment 141547
Between the fuzz and the hooks, you're a brave man tying over carpet!

BigRod

Messy but I'm getting to it lol!!! Go big or go home. It'll save you a whole lot more money in the long run. As in a post above you'll have random stuff in draws and what not! Good luck and keep us posted! Not to mention it's relaxing and kills time quick

Attachments

• E4F3EB33-D9B8-41A5-838F-FAD2ECDCC74B.jpeg
    E4F3EB33-D9B8-41A5-838F-FAD2ECDCC74B.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

7mm08

Don't do it! You'll loose your mind! I started out in 1982 going to a furrier in Lennox Mall asking for " scrape fur" because I had no money. Tied flies and sold them at the TU meeting to buy more equipment. My first desk i "made" and custom fit it inside a closet where the AC duct work was. I have demo tied from Maine to NC over the years most tailwater stuff. Now just mostly saltwater or if I need some to go on the Clinch.

It's a great clear your head hobby. My desk is always a mess. The piece of deer hair is from my buddy in Maine that loved my X-caddis pattern to fish for brook trout. He passed a year ago this week and I found the deer hair today while searching for something else.

Have fun and learn to tie a one handed whip finish instead of using a tool. PS. A .45 shell casing makes a great hair stacked for a #14 caddis. Enjoy! Remember a Thompson A vice ties just as nice a fly as a Regal or a Renzetti. Start small and grow it.

Attachments

• 5B13BFA3-2558-460D-AB78-07A7739C22AE.jpeg
    5B13BFA3-2558-460D-AB78-07A7739C22AE.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 616BCEC6-139E-48CA-BD5C-A6337A0FDB36.jpeg
    616BCEC6-139E-48CA-BD5C-A6337A0FDB36.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

BigRod

Don't do it! You'll loose your mind! I started out in 1982 going to a furrier in Lennox Mall asking for " scrape fur" because I had no money. Tied flies and sold them at the TU meeting to buy more equipment. My first desk i "made" and custom fit it inside a closet where the AC duct work was. I have demo tied from Maine to NC over the years most tailwater stuff. Now just mostly saltwater or if I need some to go on the Clinch.

It's a great clear your head hobby. My desk is always a mess. The piece of deer hair is from my buddy in Maine that loved my X-caddis pattern to fish for brook trout. He passed a year ago this week and I found the deer hair today while searching for something else.

Have fun and learn to tie a one handed whip finish instead of using a tool. PS. A .45 shell casing makes a great hair stacked for a #14 caddis. Enjoy! Remember a Thompson A vice ties just as nice a fly as a Regal or a Renzetti. Start small and grow it.
Agreed with what is said lol, you'll go nuts!!

Good lookin setup when cleaned 😂

Latest posts