Gear/Camo Clothing

Rakkin6

Hey guys just a personal observation and my opinion and I would like yours also. I have looked at the Ol Tom and Nomad turkey hunting pants/hats/shorts etc. But I just can not bring myself to pay the amount of money they ask for them. I live right next to an Academy Sports and get most of my stuff from them. I have been using their Magellan brand for about the past 4-5 years now without issue and for half the price of what Ol Tom and Nomad cost. Now but no means am I cheap but I just can't justify spending twice the amount for a pair of pants. I am able to rotate about 4 pairs of pants, shirts and hats through the season. Maybe I am missing something. So for those of you that have these 2 products are they worth it? And if they are why are they worth the extra cost has to what I already have. What made me think of this is I just saw a big advertisement on Mack's Prairie Wings sight for Nomad gear.

Setterman

I am fortunate to have the resources to purchase pretty much any gear I want to buy. My camo is pretty much all Mossy Oak Cotton mill stuff or their Tibee rip stop when it gets warmer. I have a nomad face mask but that's it from one of those companies.

I am a gear head type, but do not see the need to drop that kind of cash on camo. It may be awesome, more comfortable etc, but for me a simple pair of cotton pants and shirt work just fine.

My clothes are stained with mud, blood, sweat, have holes worn or torn in it, but gets the job done just fine.

REN

When it comes to lightweight turkey gear I'm not very picky. Whatever is light and breaths well I'll wear. I don't really care about the pattern as long as it's not faded or super dark. I use first lite and badlands gear only at this point but that's more for year around gear. I will say that higher quality gear even lightweight generally lasts longer and breaths better. Heck even badlands has a lifetime warranty on there stuff so if it rips or breaks down they will replace it.

PickettSFHunter

I'm awfully partial to First Lite for comfort and practicality. Zip off merino baselayers are the best thing since sliced bread. No more taking forever to get the baselayers off on one of those chilly mornings that turns warm.

peytoncreekhunter

I camo up to turkey hunt but.... year before last I had come out of the woods, gotten to my truck and changed clothes. Blue jeans and a camo t-shirt. I was driving out when I heard a gobble. I stopped my truck, got out and walked about 30 yards. I yelped and he gobbled back. There I sat camo t-shirt, blue jeans and no face mask or gloves. The Tom walked right up to me and I shot him at about 20 yrds. Crazy how it works sometimes.

Remington700

I have always purchased what is on sale or from Walmart. This year I am starting to swap out for some of the higher end items like Nomad and Ol'Tom. Curious to see if the quality is worth the price.

Rakkin6

The .ost expensive thing I own and the best investment ever is my IWOM. Just a baselayer and my IWOM and I am good to go in the winter. And yeah I am all about breathable and comfort for turkey especially my boots. I wear a pair of OD Green scrubs under a leafy suit a lot of times. But I am a firm believer in good boots.

megalomaniac

Personally, I prefer a heavy cotton BDU pant for early season. I'm using the tru spec MO Bottomland from Natchez for $22 this year since my 10yr old woodland camo pants are faded to the point where there is no pattern. I can layer under them with long John's on cold mornings.

Later season, I go with light ripstop bdu's in woodland camo. I did get a pair of firstlights on sale and will try them.

Side pockets are a MUST for me. When I'm running and gunning, I only carry a single pot call and striker in one side pocket, camo gloves and a compact turkey tote in the other side pocket, and a mouth call and car keys on the 2 front pockets.

For tops, I wear a cheap $8 cotton camo long-sleeved T, with a generic camo fleece jacket over if it is cold. When it's hot, I wear the camo dry fit shirts in long sleeve or short sleeve if really hot. I wear a Ranch Safari jute camo jacket over the top when I strike a bird.

I try to make my top and bottom mismatch intentionally. Drives my wife crazy, but I usually go darker on bottom and a little more green up top, esp later in season.

Wool socks, always and forever. Low top 6in hikers, and rubber boots when I'm in the swamps. I carry both and trade up back at the truck before hitting my next spot.

I was my clothes a LOT in turkey season. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to stand the smell of myself. So the camo patterns of my cheap stuff does fade after a season or two.

timberghost35

I bought all the Ol tom stuff last year before the season. It is still sitting where it put it. I wear my gamekeeper overalls 99% of the time with a leafy jacket under it.

The Ol Tom pants are really nice. The shirts are ok. It all breathes really well.

I honestly bought it cause I got tired of all my clothes pattern fading. But like I said, I haven't worn them much.

Rakkin6

I think this year I may try to wear my Multicam uniforms that I have from the Army. I have about 15 pairs of them. The only thing I don't have in Multicam is a facemask. Gloves, boonie hat, pants and several different style tops like your traditional button up tops and the patagonia pullovers. See how that pattern works out. I will say this year I did invest in some snake gaiters for the first time ever. Not that we have a lot of poisonous snakes over here in Clarksville but the older I get the more I don't want to take that chance

Spurhunter

I stocked up on Nomad pants and shirts over the summer dirt cheap when The Mossy Oak Store or Camofire would run a really good sale. I've worn it the last 2 days and I like it, but it's not a gamechanger or anything like that.