Gasoline expert opinion needed

Andy S.

^^^ In Memphis, 2nd Hand Power sells drag racing fuel, around 107 octane or so. My buddy buys it there and mixes it with 93 non-ethanol for his older classic cars.

Last edited:

BMan

Local gas station that recently went through a renovation still sells 100% gas. The new company now claims their 100% gas contains no ethanol but has an octane rating of 90.

Every station where I have purchased 100% gas had an octane rating of 87. Is there a such thing as 90 octane 100% gas?

Yes; real gas still comes in various octanes. I've been buying 90 octane real gas for at least 6 or 7 years.

gasman

Supporter
You can get either ethanol or non ethanol in any grade you want. Also @Tenntrapper its not splash mixed in the tanker. Depending on the location, it's either 89 octane in the tank or its blended at the dispensers. 65% 87 octane and 35% 93 octane will technically give you a 89.9 octane.

Pioneer1789

Local gas station that recently went through a renovation still sells 100% gas. The new company now claims their 100% gas contains no ethanol but has an octane rating of 90.

Every station where I have purchased 100% gas had an octane rating of 87. Is there a such thing as 90 octane 100% gas?
I buy 100% 91 octane for all my stuff other than the cars. Lucky to have it available. It keeps for a really long time even without stabilizer.

sun

Sunoco makes many racing fuels with different octanes.
Available in 5 gallon pails and 54 gallon drums that can be delivered.
For example, Optima is 95 octane ethanol free.

wayne

You can get either ethanol or non ethanol in any grade you want. Also @Tenntrapper its not splash mixed in the tanker. Depending on the location, it's either 89 octane in the tank or its blended at the dispensers. 65% 87 octane and 35% 93 octane will technically give you a 89.9 octane.
89 octane can still be splash blended at the rack. Some stores still have mid-grade tanks.

Andy S.

In my neck of the woods, non-ethanol gas stations are few and far between. With that said, I was in SW Missouri recently and saw a trend that I liked. Numerous gas stations had 10% ethanol 87 and 89 octane for your vehicles ($2.79, $2.89), but their 93 octane was non-ethanol at a premium price ($3.49). I liked that just about all gas stations offered non-ethanol, even though they only offered 93 octane. My personal non-ethanol consumption each calendar year is so few gallons that I would be fine with purchasing 93 octane non-ethanol if I had to.

waynesworld

Can you elaborate? I wouldn’t be surprised if at some places the more expensive “ethanol free” comes out of the same tank as the rest of it.
the ethanol free and nonethanol fuel is kept separate but the grades are the same only difference is what is added when putting in tanker. That is why the gas trucks from exon and shell all go to the same gas line. My ex-wife use to work for a distributor up in SD

Latest posts