Garmin Etrex 22x

Black Titan

Anyone using this portable GPS unit? I picked one up to carry with me while hunting so I can mark waypoints for different locations, as well as use the breadcrumb trail feature so I don't get lost lol.

Just curious what you guys think, and if anyone has loaded any additional maps to their units. I see there's a few available, but not sure which would be best for hunting usage.

BT

TNRifleman

I use some newer model of the Etrex as a backup to OnX on my phone. It works great, picks up satellties well and has been really accurate. If my phone goes down, I open up the Etrex. If the Etrex goes down, a compass will get me out :)

Omega

OnX is good, but is a paid service. You can get the same location data with google maps, which is free and many phones have a built in compass which is pretty accurate. The beauty of a dedicated GPSR is that it can get you within feet of your desired location much more accurately, and most can use both US and Russian GPS, you can save waypoints, mark trails, leave digital crumbs, etc. Extra batteries are easy to carry, and many GPSR units have a long battery life, but like the phone, you need to keep an eye on remaining power levels. Learning to use a map and compass is an essential skill too, that every outdoorsman needs to learn and be proficient in, just in case. But for most of us, we can get by with basic understanding of a map and simple directional benchmarks like the sun, which can let you make a beeline toward known escape azimuths (general direction to a road or camp). But honestly, if you don't practice any of this and wait until you need it, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Black Titan

OnX is good, but is a paid service. You can get the same location data with google maps, which is free and many phones have a built in compass which is pretty accurate. The beauty of a dedicated GPSR is that it can get you within feet of your desired location much more accurately, and most can use both US and Russian GPS, you can save waypoints, mark trails, leave digital crumbs, etc. Extra batteries are easy to carry, and many GPSR units have a long battery life, but like the phone, you need to keep an eye on remaining power levels. Learning to use a map and compass is an essential skill too, that every outdoorsman needs to learn and be proficient in, just in case. But for most of us, we can get by with basic understanding of a map and simple directional benchmarks like the sun, which can let you make a beeline toward known escape azimuths (general direction to a road or camp). But honestly, if you don't practice any of this and wait until you need it, you are setting yourself up for failure.

I had originally planned to use my phones GPS with Google maps, but got concerned about getting in a situation of being lost and having no signal, or worst case extending beyond my battery's life on my phone. In order to back that up, I would need to carry a portable battery pack to charge my phone, which increases my weight substantially. For the portable GPS, it runs off 2 AA batteries and battery life is over 24 hours continuous, so half dozen extra AA batteries is the lighter option for me.

I still plan to use the phone as primary, if it works, but like having the peace of mind of the other GPS if I need it, and I also quite like the waypoint and breadcrumb feature of my garmin.

BT

kamml

With Onx you can use the topo feature to plan your hunt and add waypoints, find the easiest route etc.. Then while you are hiking you can see how much farther to your favorite waypoint. It works quite well for that. I was a topo and compass man myself for many years, couldn't beat the reflective tacks for marking the right tree. I loved the forest service quad maps still have a bunch for South Carolina, good memories of hunts past. I tried the early GPS stuff back in the the 90s. The map was still easier. But Onx changed all that. Its even hard to get lost now with Onx.

Black Titan

I plan to try out the onx when I finally get the chance to get out and go. I'll use the free trial at first then upgrade if I like it. Sounds like I will like it though.

BT