Game ears for hunting.

Omega

I've got 2 pairs of the Howard Leight's that work pretty well. Like others have said, wearing them for hours without taking a break can be pretty uncomfortable. I tried a cheap pair of Walker's electronic earplugs one time and I won't use those again. Way more feedback than the muffs, and they use hearing aid batteries, which are a pain. I'm also curious about Tetras and some of the other high end offerings…
Try the gel pads for the HL's, they increase comfort a bunch, though I take mine off after an hour or so of having them on.
Amazon product ASIN B0822RGZH8
1701100621118.png

DaveTN

I don't know how the walker game ears are, but I have their muffs. I hear far more with them on than with them off and when a round goes off, they muffle it. When the family has a range day, I can hear all the conversations and be involved, even a long way away. I don't shoot in the cold, so I can't comment on that.

Woodman

This is an old thread, but I've been looking at the Tetra hunting hear enhancement/protection earplugs and wondering if anyone that has them can advise how they like them

I can't recommend a specific brand, but when you get them, make sure that they have dual (or more) microphones and stereo output otherwise you'll have no idea where sound is coming from. Electronic ears are completely useless when you can't tell where the noise is coming from. Someone talking will sound like 20 people talking in a circle around you.

You get what you pay for when it comes to electronic ears.

I got a cheap pair on prime day, they don't make them anymore, but they have multiple microphones, stereo output, and auxiliary in for a cell phone or radio. They are incredibly useful for range day.

kaizen leader

Although they're quite a bit more expensive than Walker hearing devices, I'm seriously considering the Tetra hearing aids. They have internal programming geared to the type/species being hunted and have sound suppression for gunshots. They were invented by two lifelong hunters that are also hearing care professionals. Talked to one TNdeer member who uses them and really likes them.
Are they hearing aids you can wear all the time and programmable? In the ear type? I wear hearing aids and I crank them up when hunting. Works good.
Hi i have been looking at the walker game ears. And radian game ears for hunting. My hearing is damaged from work. Would the game ears help any? Do you want a pr with more than 1 mic?
I have seen them with 1 mic. 2 mic and 4 mic. I didn't know if more mic's would help or hurt. I would also use them turkey hunting. Thanks
Get some hearing in the ear hearing aids. Your wife and friends will be glad you did. They are over the counter now so not as pricy as they use to be. Get the ones you can program on your phone.

Although they're quite a bit more expensive than Walker hearing devices, I'm seriously considering the Tetra hearing aids. They have internal programming geared to the type/species being hunted and have sound suppression for gunshots. They were invented by two lifelong hunters that are also hearing care professionals. Talked to one TNdeer member who uses them and really likes them.
I believe they are based out of Eagleville. A friend of mine works there.

Iglow

I've got some Walkers that are my standard equipment duck hunting but turkey hunting I can't tell the direction of gobbling or yelping very well, I can hear it much better but am never sure about direction. Maybe you could slip them off when you get closer ? I just use my hearing aids turkey hunting now. That's like night and day.

MickThompson

I have a pair from soundgear and love them. Hated the walkers. Poor sound quality- like they were tuned to only pick up leaves rustling within 30' of me. I had a hard time picking up any directionality from them too. I despised that they were corded together too- I hunt in the thick stuff and they were constantly getting yanked out of my ears. They are also waterproof enough to survive a couple rounds getting washed in my shirt pocket.

I think this is truly a case of you get what you pay for. If they're custom fitted to you I think insurance will kick in as well.

Jon54

Hi i have been looking at the walker game ears. And radian game ears for hunting. My hearing is damaged from work. Would the game ears help any? Do you want a pr with more than 1 mic?
I have seen them with 1 mic. 2 mic and 4 mic. I didn't know if more mic's would help or hurt. I would also use them turkey hunting. Thanks
I know the owner of Radians well. They work but they aren't as good as Walkers. He gave me a pair of Radians. You'll hear sounds you've never heard before, but IMH opinion, Walkers are better made

TboneD

I've got some Walkers that are my standard equipment duck hunting but turkey hunting I can't tell the direction of gobbling or yelping very well, I can hear it much better but am never sure about direction. Maybe you could slip them off when you get closer ? I just use my hearing aids turkey hunting now. That's like night and day.
I'll be Cap'n Obvious to make sure you realize the thing about hearing aids, though, is that they magnify ALL sounds, including harmful gunfire. I use a pair of cheap Walkers earbuds that for the money work fine. My buddy likes his Walkers as well. They cost probably twice as much but they're wireless and have Bluetooth.

Maude

6-7 years ago, I realized my hearing had deteriorated to the point I had to do something. I had my hearing tested and it was confirmed the upper frequencies were severely attenuated. I wasn't to a point I needed hearing aides for social reasons but I was not hearing turkeys like I wanted. I began looking into different sound amplification systems and eventually broke down and bought Tetra amp-pods. They worked really well but I just couldn't keep them in my ears. I had them fall out multiple times and eventually lost one out of my right ear climbing a mountain. I never found it. I paid to replace it as I didn't even want to turkey hunt w/o them. I eventually called Tetra and explained my issue and they allowed me to trade my amp-pods in on the shields. The shields stay in much better. They've improved my hearing to the point I don't want to turkey hunt w/o them. I use them while bowhunting for deer but rarely use them during MZ/rifle season.Yep, the batteries are small but readily available. I usually replace them at home or in the truck about every other day.

For Christmas, my son got me a set of Howard Leight Impact Sports for the range and I have been extremely impressed with them. I think they would work great for blind hunting but I really wouldn't want to run-and-gun with them on.

Latest posts