Game Cameras on public land.

AT Hiker

With a tree stand I'd agree with you. But a camera hardly claims a spot unless it's on a tree you're wanting to climb.
I ran into a goober one time walking out. He had two cameras on the edge of a slough, he asked me why I was hunting where he had his cameras.

Surely, your not OK with that?

Ski

I ran into a goober one time walking out. He had two cameras on the edge of a slough, he asked me why I was hunting where he had his cameras.

Surely, your not OK with that?

No. I absolutely would not be ok with that. And he'd be the first to know it. It wouldn't prevent me from hunting there, though.If he didn't like it then he could always move his cams.

It's public land. I don't feel any more or any less entitled to it than anybody else. Cameras don't bother me because they don't hinder my hunt, so I assume my cameras wouldn't bother anybody else. If there's a tree I'd like to hunt but there's already a stand in it and nobody sitting in it, that would frustrate me. Most places I like to hunt is hard to find a tree to sit in and a lot of times there's only one suitable tree. If it's been "claimed" by another hunter it would agitate me. But a camera no.

AT Hiker

No. I absolutely would not be ok with that. And he'd be the first to know it. It wouldn't prevent me from hunting there, though.If he didn't like it then he could always move his cams.

It's public land. I don't feel any more or any less entitled to it than anybody else. Cameras don't bother me because they don't hinder my hunt, so I assume my cameras wouldn't bother anybody else. If there's a tree I'd like to hunt but there's already a stand in it and nobody sitting in it, that would frustrate me. Most places I like to hunt is hard to find a tree to sit in and a lot of times there's only one suitable tree. If it's been "claimed" by another hunter it would agitate me. But a camera no.
Yeah, Im speaking specifically on people who think if they hang a stand or camera they get to claim the spot. If someone is where I want to hunt, I move on.

I would be willing to bet the goober with the cameras is blowing the area out, going back n forth checking them...but thats par for the course.

This particular public piece does have 3 stands that have been left for a couple years now, whomever left them removed the bottom 2 sticks. They appear to have locks on the top stick and platform, of course they are in the only trees one can reasonably place a stand (super thick and heavy cedar). The chains are prob grown into the trees by now, too. Still not an ideal location but if you wanted to hunt elevated its about the only spot(s) close to the cover.

Ski

Yeah, Im speaking specifically on people who think if they hang a stand or camera they get to claim the spot. If someone is where I want to hunt, I move on.

I would be willing to bet the goober with the cameras is blowing the area out, going back n forth checking them...but thats par for the course.

This particular public piece does have 3 stands that have been left for a couple years now, whomever left them removed the bottom 2 sticks. They appear to have locks on the top stick and platform, of course they are in the only trees one can reasonably place a stand (super thick and heavy cedar). The chains are prob grown into the trees by now, too. Still not an ideal location but if you wanted to hunt elevated its about the only spot(s) close to the cover.

I think I'd call the warden out to remove those. Nobody has the right to be like that. Those people suck.

As far as the guy with cams blowing the place out, that's a real possibility. Unfortunately it's public so whether he's blowing deer out by hunting or blowing deer out by checking cameras, he's blowing deer out. In a situation like that I'd bust his balls pretty hard if he confronted me like that, but ultimately I'd want to hunt where he's not. I just wouldn't let him know that. I'd want the jerk thinking I was going to be there every day.

paboom

....People that use cameras and stands to claim a spot should get automatic license suspension for there entire life....

You would fit in well in California. Or China.
So you are OK with people claiming spots on public land as "their spots"?

Hanging a stand or camera doesn't make it "their spot" and it's absurd to equate that to the need for a lifetime ban. That's like suggesting the death penalty for speeding. Your hatred is clouding your judgement.

AT Hiker

Hanging a stand or camera doesn't make it "their spot" and it's absurd to equate that to the need for a lifetime ban. That's like suggesting the death penalty for speeding. Your hatred is clouding your judgement.
Your lack of understanding sarcasm probably makes you a joy to be around.

deerhunter10

I don't hunt public land anymore haven't in years, so don't technically have a dog in this fight. But this thread is absolutely crazy and funny. Cameras aren't hurting anyone at all. Some of yal are so stubborn it's nuts.

Latest posts