Gah! Another leak!

MickThompson

What's the useful life of copper plumbing? I've got another leak to fix and this one is in the wall of a pipe, not at a joint. House is about 20 years old- I shouldn't be looking to rip everything out and start over, should I? Makes me question the integrity of what's in the walls. Off to Lowe's for more shark bites and pex.

mike243

There are know dates of bad run of materials that cause leaks, sometimes its covered parts and labor

JBell

I’m no expert. But a plumber buddy of mine said those circulators cause them often. Not sure if you have one of those on your house or not. The ones that make instant hot water throughout the house.

MickThompson

JBell":3aavpdrt said:
I’m no expert. But a plumber buddy of mine said those circulators cause them often. Not sure if you have one of those on your house or not. The ones that make instant hot water throughout the house.

Nope, just a standard water heater.

MickThompson

mike243":3j76fb9l said:
There are know dates of bad run of materials that cause leaks, sometimes its covered parts and labor

I don't see how I'd make a claim even if there was a warranty. I'm the second owner and we've had it almost 8 years. I'm just chalking it up to the cost of not renting.

TAFKAP

MickThompson":16b41lim said:
What's the useful life of copper plumbing? I've got another leak to fix and this one is in the wall of a pipe, not at a joint. House is about 20 years old- I shouldn't be looking to rip everything out and start over, should I? Makes me question the integrity of what's in the walls. Off to Lowe's for more shark bites and pex.

Something about the Collierville water system makes it hell on copper pipes. I'm not sure if it's how they treat it or the chemistry of their town's water distribution system. But it causes pinhole leaks in copper pipes. Perhaps it's worth looking into getting a water chemistry report to find out how susceptible your copper is. Someone with that problem in a Collierville house will start leaking from the pipes, not joints, fittings, or anything else. Smack dab in the middle of a pipe.

Polarkraft

Water with sulphur can and will corrode copper lines causing pin holes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mike243

Polarkraft":2kuzws3q said:
Water with sulphur can and will corrode copper lines causing pin holes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Households can also have refridge and freezers attacked also, it hits the joints first which have a little silver in the welding rods, I see it once in awhile, folks cant believe it but the lines will turn black , running water releases it into the air , reckon the plumbing gets it inside and out.

BlackBelt

Something about the Collierville water system makes it hell on copper pipes. I'm not sure if it's how they treat it or the chemistry of their town's water distribution system. But it causes pinhole leaks in copper pipes. Perhaps it's worth looking into getting a water chemistry report to find out how susceptible your copper is. Someone with that problem in a Collierville house will start leaking from the pipes, not joints, fittings, or anything else. Smack dab in the middle of a pipe.[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------

2 years ago I quit dating a beautiful Collierville woman because her beautiful Collierville home had all sorts of problems I got tired of fixing...most notably being leaking copper pipes.

Like you said, they would just start leaking from anywhere, but not usually from the joints. And all those pipes were inside the sealed walls. So it was NEVER just locating and fixing the leaks.
After a few months I re-evaluated the relationship. She didn't need a boyfriend, she needed a contractor.

Hunter 257W

I bought my house in 1996 and I had several pinholes develop in copper pipes over the 1st few years. They were always hot water too so not only was I losing water I was paying to heat it. :( Each time I fixed it by cutting out the bad spot and putting a brass connector in. The holes were always just corroded pinholes. I don't think I've had one since 2000. Knock on wood...……...

BigAl

Fayette County (West, TN) doesn't even allow copper pipes due to pinhole leaks being prevalent. I have pex, but even so some of the fixtures, valves, ect still develop leaks which I have to replace.