Frozen Well

Camp David

Camp David

Never had this problem before, but at our property last year our well started freezing up. Once the temp gets above 32*, everything starts working.

The only exposed supply line to the trailer house is well insulated and has heat tape (2 strips), so I'm pretty certain it's been eliminated. The only other thing I can figure is the pressure switch is above ground and could be freezing, but again, I've never had this problem before last year.

There is a "frost free" spigot between the well pump and trailer house that was leaking from the underground relief valve whenever the spigot was turned on. Didn't leak when in the off position. This spigot is only about 5 years old.

This year, the spigot "on/off" handle has apparently broken, where there is no water or pressure when you lift the spigot handle. It's like the rod going to the water on valve is broken. I bought a new spigot assembly, but haven't been able to install it yet.

Is my problem with the pressure switch or the spigot assembly?

R

ronnycl

my guess is the pressure switch has moisture buildup in it and its freezing preventing contact. take a torch and heat the with solenoid up and see if that works....

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
I had that problem in the past and a light bulb in the well house solved it. Just had to turn it on when it got bitter cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Wiley

Bigmonts":1d8dmgq8 said:
Put a light bulb by the switch.
^^^^ This. At our deer camp we bought a temperature regulated multi-outlet plug at Lowe's and put a 100W light bulb in the pump house and we've never had a problem. The plug thing looks like a regular multi-outlet plug but it only supplies power below 40* I believe.

Ours looks like this but in 'T' configuration with 2 outlets....

https://jet.com/product/detail/a0d3781d ... gIFP_D_BwE

T

TnTurk

Run a hair dryer on the switch for a few minutes and see if that helps. I had to do it to mine this morning.

Camp David

Camp David

Thank you all. I was leaning towards the switch being the problem. I wish I'd thought about trying a dryer on it yesterday, instead of cutting the trip short.

Camp David

Camp David

Thank you all for the input. I got the pipe the pressure switch is in wrapped with heat tape and have apparently solved the problem.