Frozen pipes anyone?

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Lord I figured there would be a 3 page thread by now. Got a call from stepson while 2 hours away sayin he heard a loud noise and sees water running in the floor in the bathroom. I am temporarily renting until I find something I want to buy. Of course I went into freak out mode trying to find someone to get to the house and shut the meter off. Thankfully Dad is a plumber and lives about 3-4 miles away. Yea...... but he has the flu and feels pretty close to death! He calls someone from the city to go shut it off. Then it dawns on me to call my neighbor to see if he can get it off. Problem solved about 20 minutes after the explosion of water. It must have happened right at floor level cause when I got home the water wasn’t that bad. Gonna put a torpedo heater in the crawl space in the morning and see if I can get anywhere with it. Problem is the continuing BRUTAL COLD in the coming days. May just happen all over again........ am I the only one??? Oh and it sucks to not have water, that is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Dang man hate that for you. RUGER's were frozen earlier too. Hope he got them unthawed. I've been keeping mine a steady stream constantly hoping mine don't freeze up.

catman529

catman529

There's a small room outside my apt where most of the plumbing is, I have a heater running in there. The pipes that are exposed to outside temps have fiberglass insulation over them, but I still drip the faucet when it gets this cold

M

muddyboots

Supporter
None so far here. Wife had to work today. I went outside at 4am and cranked her car I remembered I hadn’t shut the crawl space vents. I went around the house shut them. Boy it was cold.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Yea I left mine dripping too. This house does not have central so without that duct work underneath, it tends to get extra cold.

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
I encapsulated and insulated what little crawlspace I have. I hope that helps a lot. The rest of the house is basement and I’ve never seen it get below 65 down there so surely won’t have issues there. Let’s hope anyway.

T

TIGGREM2

Frozen pipes here . Luckily I had them thawed out before any damage occurred . Gonna wrap them with more insulation in the morning . My house sits on top of a small hill and the north wind causes it to freeze.

BackwoodsBoy

BackwoodsBoy

-10 here this morning in northern WV, I live in an 88 year old house, surprised they didn’t freeze under my laundry room, I did leave the faucet trickling though...

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
I don't. The main water pipe comes in the house next to the bathroom and the kitchen is the farthest away so I let the cold drip there. I keep all under the sink doors open and I do set my house temp a little higher than normal to fight this cold. My bed sleeps a little warm so I "normally" set my house temps around 65-68 but that's with outside temps around 30 but with the outside temp going to be 0 I have my house set for 72. My light and water bill will be CHEAPER than having the pipes repaired.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Wildcat":2c80uuqs said:
I don't. The main water pipe comes in the house next to the bathroom and the kitchen is the farthest away so I let the cold drip there. I keep all under the sink doors open and I do set my house temp a little higher than normal to fight this cold. My bed sleeps a little warm so I "normally" set my house temps around 65-68 but that's with outside temps around 30 but with the outside temp going to be 0 I have my house set for 72. My light and water bill will be CHEAPER than having the pipes repaired.

Good deal.. Thanks

TN Song Dog

TN Song Dog

Just started a drip on hot and cold.

I've got to figure out why the tile floor near the laundry area is so much colder than any other spot. Might be two causes:
1. Dryer vent.
2. Crawl entry plywood door is very near the cold area.
Any other reasons you could think of?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Wildcat":1zwunw2u said:
ronnycl":1zwunw2u said:
dripping hot and cold water here
Same here.
Have had my cold dripping all day. Just went and turned some hot on too since y'all said something about it.

TN Song Dog

TN Song Dog

rem270":18503pgy said:
Wildcat":18503pgy said:
ronnycl":18503pgy said:
dripping hot and cold water here
Same here.
Have had my cold dripping all day. Just went and turned some hot on too since y'all said something about it.
Ha, same here. Just started my drips.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Well guys, I am blessed in many many ways and I’m not a Debbie downer .....BUT..... I just went to pick up a torpedo heater and I Be Dad gum if my transmission didn’t go out in my gmc.. I hope this is no indication of how 2018 is gonna go. I still have my Tacoma so not that big of a deal but REALLY?!?!

Tennessee Lead

Tennessee Lead

I woke up with no water and was without most of the day but it was because the main water supply line that supplies the area burst.
The city's water department spent all day in the cold repairing it.
I'm glad I didn't have anything froze up when it came on.