Food Plots Frost seed question

dgolden

I was able to spread some clover and chicory out about a week and half ago before we got 10 inches of snow. I've got another spot I would like to do as well. This is the first time I've tried frost seeding.
My questions are, did the snow hurt the seeds I've already sown and should I got ahead and spread seed on the other spot or wait until all the snow melts?

DoubleRidge

Others likely have more knowledge or experience on the topic than I do but I've heard more than one person top seed in the snow.... thought being as the snow melts the seed will sink into the soil and make good contact.....so some folk welcome or want the snow for top seeding....but again....I've never done it.....but others certainly have.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
You need to go ahead and sow now while the snow is on the ground. Like DR said it is perfect for seed to soil contact as the melting snow will push it into the ground.

We are sowing clover right now via 4 wheeler. We haven't had a February snow in 3 plus years to amount to anything so now is the time.

megalomaniac

Get it down, we did today!

Attachments

• IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 96

megalomaniac

Looks like a 6420 running in the field there Mega.
Did you run white clover or red today.
Dad used up all my crimson seed on another place last week. This was supposed to be crimson seeded into fescue we drilled last fall. If you seed annual clovers with the fescue in the fall, the clover will choke out the fescue.

Since we were out of crimson, we put down a mix of ladino and Balansa that we had left over from last fall.

My dad wants fescue in the hay pastures, but I have convinced him to leave a few acres out in each hayfield that he is willing to not spray annually for broadleaf weeds. Because of that, every few years we will burn down those areas with gly and start over once there is enough weed competition to choke out the fescue.

jason2779

I was able to spread some clover and chicory out about a week and half ago before we got 10 inches of snow. I've got another spot I would like to do as well. This is the first time I've tried frost seeding.
My questions are, did the snow hurt the seeds I've already sown and should I got ahead and spread seed on the other spot or wait until all the snow melts?
No the beat time to spread seed if you can is right before a snow the seed gets pulled into the ground as the snow melts, you should have a good crop of clover with the snow having lots of nitrogen and you should always sow clover in the dark nights of February good luck and keep me posted would like to know how this turns out!

cutnrun03

I worked as an agronomist
for over 20 years. We always frost seeded clover on top of the ground between mid February thru Mid March. Reason being that the freeze/thaw action of the soil will allow the small clover seed to fall into the ground as it thaws in the day time and the ground opens up. When the ground freezes at night, it pulls the small seed into its openings. It's a great way to establish clover and alfalfa plots when you are limited to any zag equipment to help you prepare a seed bed. The snow will take the clover into the ground as it melts too. You should be in good shape!

James 35

Yes its a great time . I plant mine late fall to late winter every yr . Also i mix red and white or cool weather and hot weather seed for coverage in spring and fall as well as hot summer .

Monk74

I believe I frost seeded on February 13. It'd be interesting to see some pics of everybody's plots this summer. Due to lack of implements, I bush hogged as low as possible then dropped a mower deck to the dirt. Frost seeded on ground that got 1500 pounds a acre of lime in November. Gunning for a pure clover stand. Anyone had experience with ARREST or SLAY to control grass and weed competition?

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Try Select or Poast for your grass control. You have to have a private applicator card to get them but they are much stronger and effective. Arrest is 12% Clethodium where Select is 26% Clethodium. Need to mix with some crop oil.

backyardtndeer

Never tried frost seeding before, but hand spun 30 lbs of deer creek red clover onto the snow yesterday. Covered an acre or so of clover plot that was in fair shape last season and the rest went onto cow pasture. Will hit the food plot with clethodim once it gets warm.

I buy straight clethodim from rural king, probably a little cheaper than the name brands.

tellico4x4

Sowed 300# of crimson/arrow leaf/landino mix a couple weeks ago. Been in redo mode last 3 yrs on 27 clover plots, so have frost seeded about 1,000# of that mix during that time. 2 more to do this year and then will be caught up for a while. Average age of plots is 5-7 yrs so worth it to me.

WTNBowHunter

The snow here in W TN has me thinking about frost seeding this year. Has anyone got pics of their plots following a frost seed? I've got a few "hidey hole" plots, as Grant Woods calls them, in the woods I was thinking of trying this on.

WTNBowHunter

It's the freeze thaw freeze thaw for weeks that works the seed into the soil. Sometimes in low spots tiny seeds can get too deep to germ but for the most part it works pretty well in my experience.
When's the ideal date range in your experience in Hardeman Co? Or does it matter so long as it's between now and last expected freeze? I hunt in this Hardeman Co as well...

Latest posts