Freezer crapped out FRI

Forvols

Forvols

Good thing I wanted some roast beef from the basement freezer on FRI. It wasn't working, food was still frozen just not deep freeze frozen. I emptied it out and put a probe in it by SAT the freezer was at 60*. It was about 30yrs old Capri brand so cant complain. Got a good deal on a floor model GE at lowes and its bigger. Additional 20% off an military discount. Think I paid less for this new bigger one that I did for the smaller older one.

M

Mike Belt

I've found that with almost any appliances that need replacing, the Plain Jane, no frills or gimmicks, or bells and whistles generally perform as well as what I'm replacing, have less to go wrong with them, and last as long if not longer. If and when they don't you're not out an arm and leg to replace them again.

KPH

KPH

Supporter
Mike Belt":22pdu4f1 said:
I've found that with almost any appliances that need replacing, the Plain Jane, no frills or gimmicks, or bells and whistles generally perform as well as what I'm replacing, have less to go wrong with them, and last as long if not longer. If and when they don't you're not out an arm and leg to replace them again.
I agree, the more crap you have on something the more to go wrong.

Forvols

Forvols

KPH":20b7f5m4 said:
Mike Belt":20b7f5m4 said:
I agree, the more crap you have on something the more to go wrong.

Agree, my new is also plain jane only it has thermostat and power indicator. I did see a 4,000.00 fridge at lowes one with the video screen in the door.

R

Reddirt24

I am in the market for one myself. Trying to wait and see if Lowe's has one set aside that is marked down but may have to bite the bullet and pay full price for one.

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
I just bought a new freezer alarm for our upright freezer. It's got about 10 years on it, so I want to be sure I get as much warning as possible if it goes out. Alarms are generally $10-20, a wise investment.

Forvols

Forvols

Nimrod777":3a46bk06 said:
I just bought a new freezer alarm for our upright freezer. It's got about 10 years on it, so I want to be sure I get as much warning as possible if it goes out. Alarms are generally $10-20, a wise investment.

Nimrod -- thanks for reminding me, I'm going to order one today. This new freezer(like my old one) is my bulk freezer, a lot of meat and other items would have been lost had I not went to the basement. So yes the alarm is a WISE investment.

hillbillyfab

hillbillyfab

Anyone got a recommendation on which alarm to get? I've been meaning to put one on my freezer on the back porch.

R

RandyinTN

Forvols":2tyvcpz1 said:
Good thing I wanted some roast beef from the basement freezer on FRI. It wasn't working, food was still frozen just not deep freeze frozen. I emptied it out and put a probe in it by SAT the freezer was at 60*. It was about 30yrs old Capri brand so cant complain. Got a good deal on a floor model GE at lowes and its bigger. Additional 20% off an military discount. Think I paid less for this new bigger one that I did for the smaller older one.

Great deal on the discount. I thought they only gave 10% for military.

280longshot

280longshot

Lowes is great for getting floor models or discounts cause of dents and the military discount is great.
My small freezer went out after 25 yrs, i always have an extra freezer and 2 extra refrigerators.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forvols

Forvols

RandyinTN":v0zsfyq9 said:
Forvols":v0zsfyq9 said:

Great deal on the discount. I thought they only gave 10% for military.

got an additional 20%off the price because of taking a floor model, plus at check out got 10%military discount.

Forvols

Forvols

hillbillyfab":3go4ockz said:
Anyone got a recommendation on which alarm to get? I've been meaning to put one on my freezer on the back porch.

I looked them up on amazon I didn't get a wireless one just one with multiple good reviews AND that used standard AA batteries. Always got AA or AAA batteries but not those flat round ones.

R

RandyinTN

That’s what I call a great deal:)

Forvols

Forvols

hillbillyfab":xskemapq said:

I looked them up on amazon I didn't get a wireless one just one with multiple good reviews AND that used standard AA batteries. Always got AA or AAA batteries but not those flat round ones. You may want a wireless one on the back porch to keep the controller from being exposed to outside weather. The one I got the controller is connected to the probe via wire. As for which one is tried and true, I don't know it my first one.

Forvols

Forvols

Follow up and close out. I got my digital freezer alarm and put it in today. New freezer has been seeing on the MAX cold setting since I bought it. TEMP is -40* turned it up a bit and set my alarm for 10* gives me time to figure out whats going on before stuff starts thawing. But I'm impressed.... . -40 DEGREES.