Found another skull yesterday

catman529

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
29,472
Location
Franklin TN
While fishing, it was lying up on the bank with the skeleton

54D6CE9C-36C6-4D35-89B9-CD8FEC964A18-32873-0000396D4E1D3682_zpsc249895c.jpg
 

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
74,655
Location
Nashville, TN
Man, you've got some really bad trackers in your area! That's a bunch of deer shot and lost for one area.
 

catman529

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
29,472
Location
Franklin TN
BSK said:
Man, you've got some really bad trackers in your area! That's a bunch of deer shot and lost for one area.
I was thinking this one was shot and lost but on some of the others, it's hard to say. Being right by the water near a place that I know gets hunted, he was probably shot and never recovered.
 

Outdoor life

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
887
Location
Jackson Co. TN
Nice! Already most of the way cleaned too.

If it's in a area well hunted, then this one my have been sick or one would think that someone would have probably found him earlier. Or it could have floated down as well I guess. Who knows.
 

catman529

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
29,472
Location
Franklin TN
Outdoor life said:
Nice! Already most of the way cleaned too.

If it's in a area well hunted, then this one my have been sick or one would think that someone would have probably found him earlier. Or it could have floated down as well I guess. Who knows.
probably what happened to my 1 horn buck, shot him with an arrow, blood trail dried up 200 yd later, ran another 200 yd and died by the water, and I'd never have found him without a more experienced tracker (geezer)
 

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
74,655
Location
Nashville, TN
If all of the skulls are found near a water source, then the problem could certainly be EHD. But that's a lot of skulls from older bucks to find on one property. Did you find skulls from does or young bucks in the same area? When it comes to deer age and sex, EHD is an "equal opportunity" killer.
 

catman529

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
29,472
Location
Franklin TN
BSK said:
If all of the skulls are found near a water source, then the problem could certainly be EHD. But that's a lot of skulls from older bucks to find on one property. Did you find skulls from does or young bucks in the same area? When it comes to deer age and sex, EHD is an "equal opportunity" killer.
this skull wasn't on the same property. I was fishing another local stream and had slowed down to look for arrowheads and saw bone up on the bank.

JCDEERMAN said:
Catman, I might need to release you on our place. You seem to find these quite often. Though, I hope you don't find a dead 150" :)
at this time of year, I might come back with only a sack full of morels :D
 

Latest posts

Top