found an old grave yard while hunting

Bone Collector

Supporter
i was hunting yesterday and stumbled into an area that only had what looked to be some kind of ivy growing on the ground. stared noticing stones sticking up, but they had no carving or etching on them. Seemed to be more than normal and after looking around I found this. it was the only stone with writing on it.

headst_zps69d2ec8e.jpg

this one said 1888, but i am guessing the others are older or the people buried there were poor and their families couldn't afford a head stone. If you look at the top right corner of the pic you can see one of the small ones. These were most prevalent.

Then i saw this one, it didn't have any writing, but it was taller than the others.

Headst2_zps04ef345c.jpg

stuff like that makes you wonder, who is buried there, why was the grave yard abandoned, etc.

Crow Terminator

Be careful around those things...yellow jackets LOVE to make their nests in the ground in that ivy stuff. I get curious when I run up on gravesites and have to check out the stone dates and such...and I've learned to only do it in the winter. Had too many encounters with those yellow jacket devils.

pressfit

ferg said:
I 'thought' there was some sort of 'moral' obligation to maintain grave sites on your property ?

Or unwritten law ?

Something?

ferg....????
If it is people around here dont follow it.. I know where there are many that are over grown and some where tree root have even up rooted the head stones..

Bone Collector

Supporter
ferg said:
Who's land is it on ?

I 'thought' there was some sort of 'moral' obligation to maintain grave sites on your property ?

Or unwritten law ?

Something?

ferg....????

that's the tricky part. It was right on the boundary of priest WMA. it was really confusing the way the boundary markers were placed there. It seemed that I was in by one set, but when walking out of the grave yard, I saw another set of signs that would have suggested I strayed out by about 40 yds. I don;t know if I was in or out. If I was out the state owns the land there, or maybe Rutherford county.

Bone Collector

Supporter
Ok i was able to get the Rutherford Co. tax assessors map up it wouldn't work earlier. it Is Corp land. It just may be that the WMA ends right there.

catman529

I have seen some of that stuff growing in the woods before, I think it is vinca/periwinkle and seems like it was planted a long time ago. Cool head stones, I know of one or two old graves like that around public land

Big Ben

Don't remember if I showed yall this one or not. Found this on one farm we were doing a survey on. I always have to check out any old graveyards we run across. The law says we have to mark any we find on the plat map that goes on file at the county courthouse.

Best I could tell by the only stone you could read anything on it was in the early 1800's

SD531029_zpsd8cec6dc.jpg

Bone Collector

Supporter
Yeah i remember that post. I wouldn't know what to do if i came up on that. we do have one like that in the front of our neighborhood though. it is kinda creepy looking.

turk870

there is one here in hickman co(that is actually my familys grave yard)there is only one marker and it is newer and says the names of a few people baried there and also says 20 other graves of the givens family.the eary part is you dont notice the graves when you walk to the stone but then you turn around and see all the impressions of the graves you walk over to get to the marker

DaveB

Okay, confession time. I have gone WAY out of my way looking for grave sites ever since I stumbled on one lone headstone way back in the California mountains. To say it gave me the heebie jeebies was an understatement. I looked for a home site but found nothing. My Wife just absolutely hates that I do this. There is one really close to where I live and it is being maintained but not very well and another I found had the fact he was an unrepentant Rebel Civil War veteran carved into the stone.

Wht do guys do this? I never found a a female who was the least bit interested in the history or anything.

WestTn Huntin man

Bone Collector said:
i was hunting yesterday and stumbled into an area that only had what looked to be some kind of ivy growing on the ground. stared noticing stones sticking up, but they had no carving or etching on them. Seemed to be more than normal and after looking around I found this. it was the only stone with writing on it.

headst_zps69d2ec8e.jpg

this one said 1888, but i am guessing the others are older or the people buried there were poor and their families couldn't afford a head stone. If you look at the top right corner of the pic you can see one of the small ones. These were most prevalent.

Then i saw this one, it didn't have any writing, but it was taller than the others.

Headst2_zps04ef345c.jpg

stuff like that makes you wonder, who is buried there, why was the grave yard abandoned, etc. [/quote
Many old graveyards out there some are from old abandoned home sites. Others at places where a old church used to be.
Old grave markers were made from wood or limestone. The wood ones rotted .The weather erodes away the Limestone. The county Genealogical Society would most likely be interested in your find.MY wife and in- laws spent a lot of time tracking down Kin Folks and old Grave yards. My father in law could find graves like many old timers could find water. He'd make a dowsing rod and find the grave . Then could tell if it was a man ,women,or child. He could also tell the foot and head of the grave.

The Hammer

I spend a lot of time in cemeteries. I have been doing genealogy research for a long time. There's a lot if history in cemeteries. Anytime you find one you should document it there may be a family member looking for the burial spot of a ancestor.

Mudbone

There is one a very old one fifty yards from my front door here in franklin. The motheral cemetery I think. Some of them are from the 1800's. I walk a good ways around it when it's dark outside on my way home from fishing the river :).
Cool tho!

Latest posts