Found a nest

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
About 150 yards from my front door. Was dumping some tree tops and slabs into a gully beside the main trail going to the back of my property and flushed a hen as I did so. Just about ran over her as I was backing up to turn around! I expect she will return, hopefully at least...been awhile since we've watched a flock of babies in our yard.

Planking

I have one this year thats in a little gully also. I let it grow up in the hardwoods. I spook it all the time on accident but it comes right back.

Wrangler95

Hope she hatch'es them out.Hens lay in a certain place because she feels safe!I found a nest once only 10 yards from my mailbox.After the coyotes had almost wiped out the groundhogs,at least in my part of the state,groundhogs adapted to make dens close to homes and buildings.I believe turkey hens are adapting to nest predators.

DoubleRidge

Hope she hatch'es them out.Hens lay in a certain place because she feels safe!I found a nest once only 10 yards from my mailbox.After the coyotes had almost wiped out the groundhogs,at least in my part of the state,groundhogs adapted to make dens close to homes and buildings.I believe turkey hens are adapting to nest predators.

Interesting theory on ground hogs adapting and making dens closer to homes and outbuildings...I have one with a den under a wood pile in our barn....then Saturday I had this little guy literally looking in our basement door...LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_150424749~2.jpg
    IMG_20210605_150424749~2.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 41

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Interesting theory on ground hogs adapting and making dens closer to homes and outbuildings...I have one with a den under a wood pile in our barn....then Saturday I had this little guy literally looking in our basement door...LOL.
Looks like he saying hey do you have any cold water or what for dinner. 😂..
Cool picture.

Well to the op, did you get any pictures of the babies?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Looks like he saying hey do you have any cold water or what for dinner. 😂..
Cool picture.

Well to the op, did you get any pictures of the babies?
Not yet...I'm going to go check the nest in a few days to see if they've hatched yet. Don't want to have her abandon it

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
20 days since I bumped her off the nest and she's still sitting as of yesterday. I bumped her off again looking to see if she was still there...