Forty Year Old air rifle scores!

Atchman2

When I was 11 years old I got a Crosman .22 pump up air rifle for Christmas. That bad thing was the barrel was bent! This was in 1971. I'm pretty sure it was this one, but I was pretty young then.

man1.jpg

My dad bought it a K-mart for me. When we took it back they didn't have anymore of them! The manager offered to give my dad another rifle. A Sheridan 5 mm IF he bought the pellets for it. The rest as they say is history. I can't even count how many critters I've shot with that rifle! I even took it with me when I joined the Army and killed rabbits in KS with it. All those years I just used open sights too. I could never find the right scope mounts back then. Even when I did get some from Cabelas for it, I couldn't hardly use a regular scope. The Simmons one I had was okay, but you still had to move your head around a lot to use it.

I have never been a fan of red dot scopes, feeling they weren't precise enough for me. That changed when I put one on my new crossbow and took my first archery turkey in KS with it! It was so easy to use and I've learned to keep both eyes open when I shoot with it.

When I got back from KS I had trouble with my other crossbow scope and put its original three red dot back on it. Though I still think I like the scope better, the red dot is very easy to use at archery ranges. At one time, I had a red dot on my Disco. That was so my son could shoot it easily. As I was scrounging around the other day I found it! An almost new BSA red dot sight. I thought to myself, "what to heck?" and put it on my forty three year old Sheridan rifle. My iron sights had long since fell off, apart, etc. I just kept it around because I've had it so long and enjoyed it. Well the red dot transformed the gun back into the killing machine from the days of my youth! ;D

The squirrels have had a population explosion this year! Last year the mast crop was the heaviest that I can recall and there is a bumper crop of nutters running around. I have a mulberry tree in the back yard and every day I noted at least three of them running around it. Toby the Wonder Dog was going crazy, so I grabbed a vintage yellow box of Sheridan pellets and headed out the door.

The first one ran over to another tree. I could just see his head in shadow against the early morning light. KERPOW cracked the old rifle and down he went. Toby ran down and retrieved it for me in the heavy brush. The next one run up to the top of the mulberry tree (I think that is what it is anyway). I could just see his head peaking out at me. Eight pumps and a pellet later-KER POW! the old rifle spoke again and nutter number two was on the ground. I only wish I could have shot that well when I was 11. :D Toby grabbed his still twitching body and brought it up to me. Good boy!

Note the "vintage" yellow box!

Shouldn't have peaked around the tree.

dirtyhands

Awesome story man I too have a pump 22 cal like yours but mine is only a few years old. The scope I have on it sits way to far back I'll have to look into getting one of those red dots for sure.

Atchman2

dirtyhands":2gl1clen said:
Awesome story man I too have a pump 22 cal like yours but mine is only a few years old. The scope I have on it sits way to far back I'll have to look into getting one of those red dots for sure.

I found the mounts for it on Cabellas. I tried to use a regular scope but had the same issue. A scout scope would work but honestly the red dot is all you need for squirrel hunting. Put the dot on their head and pull the trigger.

Atchman2

sbhockey":1avdwo0t said:
I've got the same old rifle and vintage pellet box. However mine's in .20 cal.

That one is a .20 caliber. I'm going to have to order some more pellets, they are hard to find locally. That was always the issue with those rifles. Very few vendors carried ammunition for them. The .20 is almost the perfect hunting caliber for small game. It has the flat trajectory of the .177, but with just a little bit more punch. I've shot dozens of squirrels with that rifle. I'm going to try and re-finish it and hand it down to my son.

sbhockey

Atchman2":39m3sd9z said:
sbhockey":39m3sd9z said:
I've got the same old rifle and vintage pellet box. However mine's in .20 cal.

That one is a .20 caliber. I'm going to have to order some more pellets, they are hard to find locally. That was always the issue with those rifles. Very few vendors carried ammunition for them. The .20 is almost the perfect hunting caliber for small game. It has the flat trajectory of the .177, but with just a little bit more punch. I've shot dozens of squirrels with that rifle. I'm going to try and re-finish it and hand it down to my son.

The .20's are hard to find for sure. My stock could use a little touch up. It was my grand fathers pest gun. Used it to do garden patrol. He handed it down to me, and it will live with me until I'm able to hand it down.

Latest posts