• Help Support TNDeer:

For you electricians

74MOPAR

I’ve been doing electrical work 29 years and thought I’d seen most everything. This was a new one on me😀
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

DaveB

Okay, I'm betting 10.00 they tacked it in place.

I think this is worse than those joists of last year but its a close finish.

GreyGoose

So I am looking at and best I can make out is that that is rigid pipe sliced to help bend and then tack welded to stiffen?I by no means know much about electrical but I would have to assume that that can’t be up to code?

74MOPAR

Yes they made several cuts on both sides to make the offset, several tac welds to hold it.
no it would not pass any inspection. All those sharp edges in the inside are bad for the insulation. Definitely not UL listed😀

deerfanatic

So I am looking at and best I can make out is that that is rigid pipe sliced to help bend and then tack welded to stiffen?I by no means know much about electrical but I would have to assume that that can’t be up to code?
Looks like emt but that’s some ratty work...lol

Steverino

My 1790 house up north had some interesting electric in it. How about the built in oven in the kitchen using an pigtail into a Bakelite outlet sitting underneath it. Or the missing junction box in the attic with several BX cables wired and insulated with friction tape.

Down here my shop lighting had to be redone. It had six 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures - none of which worked properly. The ballasts were shot in all of them. So I'm working thru replacing all of the ballasts and I was doing it with the switch off - as no current with the hot side should be present. I go to remove one of the 4' bulbs with one side in the socket and the other coming out - it brushes agains the chassis and bang - pin hole in the tube and nice light show. So I'm thinking the chassis is hot - that shouldn't be. I open the light switch and trace the wire back to the panel and its the neutral which was being switched. Surprise surprise. Ive seen this done on old guitar amps Ive worked on over the years and its one of the first things I replace in a restoration - eliminate the death switch which switches the polarity of the AC into the amp to stop you from getting shocked or worse (been there too many times), the polarize the transformer and circuit, lastly install 3 wire earth grounded plug. Ground to metal chassis. No more chance of shock unless the external outlet wiring is wrong.

But that picture is just too funny. Can you say shortcut?

Latest posts