For those who process their own deer

fishboy1

Whatever you decide, PLEASE make sure you don't give hunters a bad name.

Dumping right on the side of the road makes us all look like slobs. Back off the road 20-30yds and dump it behind a bush instead.

If you are going to throw the carcass in the river, please make sure to break it down so there isn't a giant floating stink blob washing up in somebody's back yard.

The contractor bag usually winds up being the most convenient cleanest way to get rid of the leftovers if you live in the city.

Winchester

Never had that problem but I would think anywhere a few miles from the nearest residence would be ok.

catman529

fishboy1 said:
Dumping right on the side of the road makes us all look like slobs. Back off the road 20-30yds and dump it behind a bush instead.
That's what I did with my deer last year. Not sure how I will go about it this year because I don't want to develop a regular "dumping site" which would be just as bad as leaving one right on the side of the road...

Tennrock

The neighbors dog takes care of it for me. He loves when deer season comes around.
Funny thing, I live in the city limits and we have a leash law, which they do not abide by. During deer season their yard is full of deer legs and rib cages.
Eases my mind for the overturned trash cans and barking at night.

Hill Country Hunter

buckaroo said:
I have thrown them off a bridge into the river, makes good catfish food.

I am sorry, but that is digusting and a great way to give hunters a bad name. If I saw someone doing that, I would call it in to the sheriff or police. If the river is large, there is no telling where it will wash to. If it is small water, then a rotting carcass or two can signficantly polute water quality.

Likewise, I am assuming that the "dumping" by the road is all on your own property. If not, that is trespassing and just as bad as poaching. There are fellow TnDeer members every year who have to deal with rotting deer carcasses somebody dumped on the side of their lease. Imagine how much it will help public perceptions of us if the landowner is a nonhunter!

Having a carcass to deal with is part of butchering your own meat. We need to deal withour own mess, not dump it on someone else, by land or water.

horn master

I'm with Bowriter. I cut mine into pieces and freeze until trash day. We kill alot of does and can fit 3-4 in a bag no problem. I have a non hunting neighbor that ask me what I do with all those left over bones. When I told him what I did he said, "You are one of those good hunters then." Something to think about. It was cool for a non hunter to thank me. He has also tried some deer meat and liked it. Now if I can get him in the woods.

treefarmer

Like Pursuit hunter I take a cooler hunting and skin/quarter the deer in the woods before coming home so I can leave the carcass in the woods. A deer easily fits in a standard size cooler with 2 gallon milk jugs of ice. After processing I can throw the leg bones in most any wood line. I suggest you consider a LEM #5, 1/4 H.P. grinder from Academy Sports or Bass Pro. I got rid of my other grinder after 10 years use and am glad I did. The LEM does great, and is quiet. My two hunting buddies also have LEM. Use quart zip lock bags for storing the meat and don't cut steaks, instead freeze roasts and if you want steaks cut them when you thaw it so it takes less work when you process the deer. If you get the LEM it comes with sausage stuffing tubes and if you get the High Mountain summer sausage kit at Academy or Bass pro you can make 30# of sausage in your home oven - it's a big hit with the relatives at Christmas time.

Headhunter

I wouldn't spend money on a grinder if it was me unless you just have to have ground venison. I would get a tenderizer and run the boned out steaks from the hams through it.

timberjack86

Headhunter said:
I wouldn't spend money on a grinder if it was me unless you just have to have ground venison. I would get a tenderizer and run the boned out steaks from the hams through it.
Not me! My familiy loves ground venison for everything. We also love stuffed sausages made with ground venision. I ground up 4 whole deer just for the ground meat!

Headhunter

I have a super nice stainless grinder, weighs well over 100 lbs. It rarely gets used, basically new. My brother uses it on occasion. My tenderizer gets wore out.

Latest posts