• Help Support TNDeer:

For the Memphis folks

BZ911

ask memfuzz! he used to handle break in robberies in mempho. there is an extended stay on stage near appling road. it a crap shoot now days.

TAFKAP

We bid the jobs back in August and it finally got awarded, got our signs staked and one called this week.

There are 11 bridges on Sam Cooper Blvd...well 8 bridges on Sam Cooper and 2 on Perkins over Sam Cooper and 1 on Mendenhall over Sam Cooper that we will be repairing. A few have minor structural steel repairs and 3 or 4 we will jack up and straighten up the bearings, do some concrete patching to the underside, replace all the expansion joints and put a new concrete overlay on all of them.

If anyone knows of construction workers, or just good workers looking for work in the area....send them my way.

I don't know anyone looking for construction work. But if yall use slings, shackles, and other rigging, I know a guy ;)

Big Gun

Curious to when the project will start? I drive I-40/ Sam Cooper every day and get off at Graham.

westtntoms

Tafkap’s maps are spot on! The only thing I’d add is the bad seeds from the noted areas are blowing into the better areas. In other words, you’re not 100% safe anywhere, although I’m sure you know that!

huntinkev

Curious to when the project will start? I drive I-40/ Sam Cooper every day and get off at Graham.
Staked our signs out for the first 4 bridges yesterday and made our one call. Will probably start putting up signs next week on those 4 bridges. Bridges over Holmes rd and Highland rd East and West bound. Probably one lane those 4 bridges by end of March. Hopefully wrap those 4 up by October/November and start on the next 4 which is over Vaughn and Waring. So those will be one laned by November of this year and will last for approx. 7-8 months.

This is if we can stay on schedule which will be way ahead of the cities timeline. We have 30 months but I'm hoping we can beat that by 8-10 months, we are going to jump all over it but need more help.

Send anybody looking for work my way.

Also will be starting a bridge in Haywood Co at exit 66 in the next month I could use help there too.

Coffee County and Bledsoe County jobs could use some help too. So anybody know of someone looking for construction work and is willing to travel if they don't live in the area have them contact me. I could hire a dozen tomorrow if I could find them.

Jon54

Memphis clearly has its crime problem. But if you research the safest cities in the state, Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville are all in the top 10 safest. I lived in Bartlett from ‘83 till ‘17. I moved to Germantown only because we wanted to be closer to my grandsons, one of which had some medical issues and we wanted to help my son.

Spurhunter

Supporter
Memphis clearly has its crime problem. But if you research the safest cities in the state, Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville are all in the top 10 safest. I lived in Bartlett from ‘83 till ‘17. I moved to Germantown only because we wanted to be closer to my grandsons, one of which had some medical issues and we wanted to help my son.
I won't argue with the numbers and I don't see Gtown or the Ville going down anytime soon, but I think Bartlett will be the next Raleigh. It may take some years, but I see the signs.

Crosshairy

I don't have anything to add to TAFKAP's map - I think it's accurate from a safety perspective.

From a theft perspective, it's much more difficult to be predictable in larger cities because thieves travel all over (folks out in the country know that with all of the meth head issues).

I wonder if there is a self-storage place that would let you park your equipment inside the fence at night for a negotiated rate. If I think of a better option, I'll let you know.

I think Memphis is generally safe from random acts of violence and have virtually zero first-hand experience with any sort of threatening thing happening around me, but being the victim of "opportunity theft" is far more likely in your situation.

Good luck, and thanks for fixing our bridges :)

BuckDropper

Staked our signs out for the first 4 bridges yesterday and made our one call. Will probably start putting up signs next week on those 4 bridges. Bridges over Holmes rd and Highland rd East and West bound. Probably one lane those 4 bridges by end of March. Hopefully wrap those 4 up by October/November and start on the next 4 which is over Vaughn and Waring. So those will be one laned by November of this year and will last for approx. 7-8 months.

This is if we can stay on schedule which will be way ahead of the cities timeline. We have 30 months but I'm hoping we can beat that by 8-10 months, we are going to jump all over it but need more help.

Send anybody looking for work my way.

Also will be starting a bridge in Haywood Co at exit 66 in the next month I could use help there too.

Coffee County and Bledsoe County jobs could use some help too. So anybody know of someone looking for construction work and is willing to travel if they don't live in the area have them contact me. I could hire a dozen tomorrow if I could find them.
Good luck finding the help bud. I’m in the ready mix business in Memphis and it’s tough finding help doing anything.

Spurhunter

Supporter
It's crazy to see you guys begging for help, then look at the local news Fakebook pages where Memphians are begging for help, stimulus money, extended and increased unemployment benefits, etc. There are plenty jobs out there. You just gotta want to get off your dead azz and work.

TAFKAP

Problem is, the traditionally low paying entry level work (sub-$15/hr) is competing against millions of sqft warehouses paying $18/hr, often with benefits, for pickers, packers, and forklift drivers. Memphis is a tough town to develop skilled tradesmen.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts