• Help Support TNDeer:

For the Memphis folks

huntinkev

I'm getting ready to start a job in Memphis and wanted advice on neighborhoods to rent apartments or houses for our guys working down there. The project is on Sam Cooper Blvd. I've looked at a few gated apartments in that area, also looked on out Summer Ave toward Wolfchase and I've looked at a few south off Hwy 385 just east of I240 and hwy 385. I'm not looking for a Ritz to put them up in, looking for the most economical where they can stay safe. If the Sam Cooper area is safe that would be the most convenient for them and they would be close to our job sites in case they are needed in emergency for something like a wreck in work zone or something. If they have to commute to the job site 20-30 minutes then that is what it is. Most of our projects, they have a commute from the motel to job site of that much anyway when we are working on a highway out in the middle of nowhere. This is such a long project, they will be staying in apartments or houses if I can find them and there is so many in our work area that it would be nice for them if they were closer.

Appreciate any advice.

CBU93

Supporter
I would look more in the U of M area or East Memphis as opposed to where you are looking IMO. Not an area of town I really frequent or want to.

Gated apartments just make it harder for the police to get there.

Remington700

I grew up not far from Wolfchase area. It is still a nice area of town. Bartlett/Cordova area might fit your needs best.

TAFKAP

I'm getting ready to start a job in Memphis and wanted advice on neighborhoods to rent apartments or houses for our guys working down there. The project is on Sam Cooper Blvd. I've looked at a few gated apartments in that area, also looked on out Summer Ave toward Wolfchase and I've looked at a few south off Hwy 385 just east of I240 and hwy 385. I'm not looking for a Ritz to put them up in, looking for the most economical where they can stay safe. If the Sam Cooper area is safe that would be the most convenient for them and they would be close to our job sites in case they are needed in emergency for something like a wreck in work zone or something. If they have to commute to the job site 20-30 minutes then that is what it is. Most of our projects, they have a commute from the motel to job site of that much anyway when we are working on a highway out in the middle of nowhere. This is such a long project, they will be staying in apartments or houses if I can find them and there is so many in our work area that it would be nice for them if they were closer.

Appreciate any advice.

Anything south of Sam Cooper is going to be pricey and maybe a little more high end. The neighborhoods north of Sam Cooper, and probably east of Graham will be tolerable and affordable. Crime in the area is probably a low-ish concern, although not unheard of. Likely property crimes and vehicle break-ins. It's fairly blue-collar around there, and decent enough. But once you get north of Macon, it's going to get dicier.

Midtown his hit or miss.....price will probably be higher, and quality can vary from street-to-street.

East Memphis between White Station and Highland will be fairly easy to access, likely decent and affordable, lower crime than most, and give good range of grocery stores, restaurants, and any other daily needs. Stay north of Quince.

TAFKAP

1614708011746.png

huntinkev

Anything south of Sam Cooper is going to be pricey and maybe a little more high end. The neighborhoods north of Sam Cooper, and probably east of Graham will be tolerable and affordable. Crime in the area is probably a low-ish concern, although not unheard of. Likely property crimes and vehicle break-ins. It's fairly blue-collar around there, and decent enough. But once you get north of Macon, it's going to get dicier.

Midtown his hit or miss.....price will probably be higher, and quality can vary from street-to-street.

East Memphis between White Station and Highland will be fairly easy to access, likely decent and affordable, lower crime than most, and give good range of grocery stores, restaurants, and any other daily needs. Stay north of Quince.
Just from my observations of the immediate area, your map looks spot on from driving thru. The project consists of 11 bridges on Sam Cooper Blvd starting at Holmes St and going East. When bidding this job and on site looking at the bridges, I noticed Holmes looked like a pretty rough area and as we went East it got better and better and Perkins Rd and Mendenhall bridges the neighborhoods seemed pretty good just from observations. I was looking at a couple apartments in that area of Graham rd or Mendenhall Rd, but I wanted to get an inside take on the neighborhood as far as safety.

I appreciate the information. Now, can you get me any info on who I can pay off in that area to guarantee the security of our equipment and tool trailers? I know somebody has to run the neighborhoods and can see that our stuff is left alone.

DaveB

to store stuff...
Seems as if I recall the construction equipment for the re-work of the 240/40 split was stored within the freeway on open ground. SC west just exiting 40 on your right is a large grassy area. Hard for foot traffic to get there and in view of lots of road traffic. Truth, I'd hire night-time security. Be sure all your guys are not carrying in their vehicles as somehow the thieves know which license plates are associated with CC.

To stay...
you are in trouble as homes are selling at stupid rate. I have some realtors I know will check what rates are. Personally, I would consider the hotels behind COSTCO at exit 16. Only a few murders there in past 5 years or so. The extended stay one next to 40 closer to SC has more than sufficient bloodshed to maybe make the 4-minute extra drive worth your time.

ronnycl

I would suggest walnut grove and humphreys area . hampton inn- hotel and Arbors of river oaks for apartment. They used to offer coprorate housing there on a month to month lease. Safe area and close to job site and decent eating choices 10 min any direction

TAFKAP

Just from my observations of the immediate area, your map looks spot on from driving thru. The project consists of 11 bridges on Sam Cooper Blvd starting at Holmes St and going East. When bidding this job and on site looking at the bridges, I noticed Holmes looked like a pretty rough area and as we went East it got better and better and Perkins Rd and Mendenhall bridges the neighborhoods seemed pretty good just from observations. I was looking at a couple apartments in that area of Graham rd or Mendenhall Rd, but I wanted to get an inside take on the neighborhood as far as safety.

I appreciate the information. Now, can you get me any info on who I can pay off in that area to guarantee the security of our equipment and tool trailers? I know somebody has to run the neighborhoods and can see that our stuff is left alone.

What sort of jobs are you bidding?

huntinkev

What sort of jobs are you bidding?
We bid the jobs back in August and it finally got awarded, got our signs staked and one called this week.

There are 11 bridges on Sam Cooper Blvd...well 8 bridges on Sam Cooper and 2 on Perkins over Sam Cooper and 1 on Mendenhall over Sam Cooper that we will be repairing. A few have minor structural steel repairs and 3 or 4 we will jack up and straighten up the bearings, do some concrete patching to the underside, replace all the expansion joints and put a new concrete overlay on all of them.

If anyone knows of construction workers, or just good workers looking for work in the area....send them my way.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts