? for the .223 shooters

Gronk

That 1:9 twist might not cooperate with all of the heavy bullets. When you get into the high 60 to 70 grain bullets you might need a little faster twist.
Thanks for that info, exactly what I was (or wasn't) wanting to know. Anyone else have experience with the larger bullets with the 1:9 twist? May just have to experiment a bit if I can find some different rounds
Gronk no worries for you. my daughter (70 lb 12 year old) uses a savage axis 223 with I think 55 grain soft points in monarch from academy. I was on the fence about the 223 but as little as she is that's what I wanted her to try. At 100 yrds she's within a 3 inch group so I am very confident in her shooting. With that being said I let her make her own decision if she wanted neck shot shoulder or vitals so her favorite spot is base of neck at the shoulder they haven't went past 30 yrds yet. I've got several guns but light recoil and cheaper ammo I bought me a winchester model 70 in 223 they are deadly.
Thanks duck! Just had a scope come in. Once it's mounted I'll keep him shooting til he has good groups, then I'll try a "deer round" and adjust from there. Probably have to order online or see if Dunham's in Columbia has some ammo. Walmart in Lewisburg had 3 boxes of 308 today, that's 3 boxes more than I've seen the last 2 times I've checked. Those were the only rounds…handgun, rifle, shotgun…. that they had.

Thx again guys

Tenntrapper

My daughter used these to take her first deer. Complete passthrough. Buck was about 50 yards when she shot. It went maybe 30 yards and hit the ground.

In stock at shooters choice
Screenshot_20210923-134542__01.jpg

bvoss

We shoot Winchester 64 grain power point. My son has shot 3 deer so far. 130 yds, 140 yards, and 50 yards. one dropped in his tracks, one ran 20 yards, one ran 50 yards. Only one pass through. But they were all tore up inside.

These are all killed with a DPMS AR 15.

CATCHDAWG

Thanks for that info, exactly what I was (or wasn't) wanting to know. Anyone else have experience with the larger bullets with the 1:9 twist? May just have to experiment a bit if I can find some different rounds
69 grain Privi cloverleafs at a hundred out of my A.R. 1:9 16" barrel. Hollow point match grade ammo, deadly on yotes but don't know what they would do on a deer.

ROVERBOY

We shoot Winchester 64 grain power point. My son has shot 3 deer so far. 130 yds, 140 yards, and 50 yards. one dropped in his tracks, one ran 20 yards, one ran 50 yards. Only one pass through. But they were all tore up inside.

These are all killed with a DPMS AR 15.
I've got some of these to reload. Just the bullets. I have loaded a few and shot them but, never tried them on deer.

Stalkhunter

I had some I reloaded several years back. I done a mushroom test and was pleased. Shot a deer with them and was not pleased. 2 neck shots and it was still trying to get up.
No issues with a heart or double lung shot. I am a neck shooter most times but not with a 223.

Double lung and the insides were like water. The deer went about 15 feet. There is a 223 hog round I think. Mike243 knows about them I believe.

CATCHDAWG

No issues with a heart or double lung shot. I am a neck shooter most times but not with a 223.

Double lung and the insides were like water. The deer went about 15 feet. There is a 223 hog round I think. Mike243 knows about them I believe.
The hog hammers were a Remington round that have been discontinued but I think they make a defensive round that is basically the same thing.

Latest posts