For anyone considering a saddle

Shim71

Hope everyone had a more successful opening than me but i had my first hunts ever in a saddle today after 30+ years of hauling and hanging portables. Even worked at one point for a tree stand maker in sales when i was younger but I am getting older and the draw of going light and mobile on public with a saddle and the safety it offered outweighed the money and change i had to put at risk. Here is my take after the first weekend for anyone considering one. If your not interested in a tree saddle i would stop reading now. It is a little lengthy.

For the first time in years, i was at the bottom of tree having to think my way through every step. It took me about 20 min but not all that bad. Once in it, I was very surprised how much i liked it. I had practiced 3 times over the summer. Only shot twice which i know was no where near as much as i should or normally would but 3 young kids and a new home kept me busy over the summer but the 2 times i did shoot it seemed natural. I actually even liked the shooting position.

Now after a weekend here is my take on it. i 100% like it more than i ever thought i would. It is light. the saddle itself is about the same as a standard safety harness. You probably give up 2 extra pounds in "saddle" gear over a safety harness alone but weight is on your hip rather than back and you dont even know you have it on. You walk normal. One of the best parts was having everything on my hips in 3 pouches attached to the saddle. Highly recommend using the pouches. I had all saddle gear and all my normal hunting gear in 3 pouches in hip. No backpack or fanny pack. Now, when i go hunting, i just grab the saddle because it all my gear other than the sticks. This was something i never even considered but one of my favorite benefits.

The set up is easy but you do have a few more "items" to use but not bad. Comfort is not as good as my summit but probably better than a lock on. Safety is a big plus but you do need to make sure you are always attached. It would be hard to mess up but i was paying attention every step of the way to come up with my new process. The height i got to was more than adequate but i will be looking more at a rope/web ladder step aider
that will help me get higher without much extra weight. I was around 18 feet with 3 hawk sticks.

As far as negatives, i did get some pinch on my hips that required me to stand and go to new positions. Not bad. Maybe my older bines (50). I did not have knee pads but will next time. You will want to just sit and hang some times and the tree will eat your knees up. Just sitting in it and resting my knees on tree was the most comfortable position. Knee pads are mandatory. Height is not a negative because i could just add a stick.

After using it, i will use it at least 90% of the time
but that is primarily bc i will be all public this year. The only reason i would not use it would be for long rifle shot (200 yd +) or if i had a pre- hung stand.

Urban_Hunter

I'm wanting to get into it… what I can't wrap my mind around is the comfort. When I'm sitting in my climber, it's like I'm sitting on my couch. When I'm in my lock on or ladder stands, it's a little less comfortable because it's a flat seat… I guess like sitting on a bench… but nonetheless, zero energy being expelled, could sit there all day. In the saddle, it looks like you are either standing on a step or platform, or at least, pushing yourself off the tree at all times. I guess this is what you're talking about with knee pads? I'm not one to sleep in the stand, but I certainly have when I try to get in super early. Is that even possible if you're having to hold/push yourself off the tree?

JCDEERMAN

Which saddle you running? I'm new at it too - this is my first year and haven't hunted out of one yet. I've heard practice is key, like once a day to the point you get in a rhythm. Do it in the dark, daylight, etc…I need to do it more, but plan on using it numerous times this season

Shim71

You could sleep in several different positions. It will never be better than a good climber but i would feel more secure and more comfortable than sleeping in a hang on. this was one of those purchases that i just decided to do it right and i bought about everything. One of the things i bought as a backstrap. It is nothing more than a strap that is connected. Imagine a circle. You just clip it in and slip it over your head and lean back into it. It really helps you rest your back and gives you support. you can easly adjust it and pull yourself close to tree. It is the simplest item and worth way more than the $15 it costs. Only Weighs one to two ounces. I would sleep sitting/hanging with my knees against tree or hanging but with both knees to one side with my hip resting against tree with backstrap pulled up tighter. I woukd fee safer sleeping in a saddle than a climber.

Shim71

I went with tethrd system. I have no complaints. There may be better saddles but i really like all the accessories they sell. Now that i really understand everything, i could put a system together but still bullish on tethrd.

muddyboots

I'm with Zach. Not a fan. Sending mine back. Cruzr has been way more than helpful sending different sizes. I just can't get comfortable. If I'
Not comfortable I will not b still. It's just not for me. I did see a hybrid saddle that looks intriguing but I'm slacking off the expensive experiments. Jmo.

middleTNbowhunter

It's a useful tool, but it's no "magic bullet." I prefer it over portable lock-ons and my old clunky climber, but it's not going to replace my ladder stands on private land--they're simply quieter and easier than anything else once the season rolls around. Dialing in your comfort takes time, as does figuring out your climbing and setup method. Once you get those figured out, it really becomes a great tool to add to the arsenal.

Shim71

It is definetky just another tool. I am not trying to be any sort of saddle homer. My reasons were because i am hunting public by myself mostly and i try to go a little deeper than most. I needed the safety and weight advantage. I will never say a dad thing about my other portables but know that due my current circumstances i will not be sitting in them much this season and i am intrigued at a new way to hunt.

JN

I am trying one out this season as well and my review is about the same as yours. I know it sounds crazy but I do not like heights but feel safer in this then a lock on. Also, didn't think I would need them but knee pads are a must for me. I felt the most comfortable with my knees against a tree. Also feel like with more use I will get quicker in set up.

Shanman

Like anything else it takes practice and figuring out a system that works for you. Last season was my first using a saddle, I'm 6'4" and around 265, had hip replaced in July and was in the saddle hunting opening morning. Another advantage is not having to hang and take down lock-ons, ladders, and caring in a climber every morning. If you like a spot but the wind isn't right then you just climb a different tree and adjust, but you can still hunt there. Main problem I see with saddle hunting is the fact that there are so many options and companies to go with, it's kind of confusing, but with research and some thought you will be fine. I'm personally done with stands, the ladder stands I have out are just that to me, a ladder. I use a few sticks and go higher, have watched to many deer walk by a ladder stand and look up at them. For those of you trying them for the first time, play around with them and find out what fits you comfortably.

Ladys man

I'm really interested in it, but just dnt want to spend all the money right now. Also haven't figured out what sticks are best (for me) but that's something I've been hung up on.

TNDeerJP

I've used everything for 25 or 30 years and saddles definitely have their place and advantages. But they are very different from just climbing a ladder or sticks or using a portable climber, because with these systems you end up sitting on your behind similar to sitting in a char facing out from the tree which can be comfortable and familiar. You can pad your butt in a variety of ways and they rarely cut into your butt or legs. I have a Tree Saddle and a "Sneaky-Seat" (no longer sold?) which is a set of minimal straps around your behind very much like a rock climber's rappelling seat (which BTW works fine as a way to hang in a tree). The Tree Saddle is a big heavy leather thing that is possible to be comfortable in but for me only if it has a small pillow in it. The Sneaky Seat is comfortable because it snugly fits my axx and I often use it instead of a chest based safety harness sometimes to go up and down climbing sticks to hunt from a hang-on.

With a hanging seat you typically hunt with the tree in your face as you almost hug the tree. It's initially nice to be "hiding" behind the tree if the deer comes in front of you but can be a real challenge to turn around and shoot with either bow or gun if the deer comes from behind you unless you install a "platform" of four screw in tree steps to stand on that go around the tree. Knee pads are a must or you can find yourself in real pain because you will be needing to push yourself out from the tree to avoid having your face too close to the tree. Though it's not a problem with a gun you will need to lean out from the tree to shoot a vertical bow. Crossbows require you to lean out even farther and I would not recommend using them. It's very different from simply shorting either gun or bow from a sitting or standing position in a regular tree stand of any kind.

Tree saddles need to fit your butt just like your pants do. And using them is very different from other stands. Watch the YouTube videos that are available and and borrow one or two from friends to try them out. Used successfully they are very deadly. Very portable and quiet to bring into the woods and very safe because you really can't fall out of them. But one of the most miserable hunts I ever went on was years ago when I decided to "try out" my Tree Saddle for a first time at Land Between the Lakes and spent a day in pain and misery with a seat that cut into my axx (no pillow) and skinned up and bruised knees. I spent so much time shifting my weight around to get comfortable that there was no way I was going to see any deer within shooting range. Try one before you buy it.

SwampChicken

this will be my third season in a saddle and it's the perfect method for the public land hunting that I do since moving to East TN in 2019. The only reason that I haven't sold my ole man multi vision climber that I've rocked since 2010 is due to the amount of memories I have in it. The versatility that a saddle gives me is an absolute game changer when hunting the mountains. This year I've added a JX3 hybrid to my arsenal for all day rut hunts when gun/mzl hunting. I'm a fan of rappelling down whether you one stick it or not. it's a much safer method, when executed correctly, than climbing down with a linemen's belt in the dark IMO.

Last edited:

woodsman04

I enjoy mine. I'm not very good with it because I haven't used it much. I really think I'm just not athletic or what to use it.
I think my climber is easier and more comfortable, but the weight of the climber is a disadvantage and also it isn't near as versatile as a saddle.

I will continue to use both, as well as lock ons, ladders, blinds, whatever.

Easy3actual

I'm really interested in it, but just dnt want to spend all the money right now. Also haven't figured out what sticks are best (for me) but that's something I've been hung up on.
I'm using the beast sticks. I had the basic LW ones, but didn't like the zig zag one step pattern. It was all of your weight on one foot while you got the next stick attached. The beast sticks have a place for both feet at each step. I use an amsteel 3 step aider. I was planning on trying the One stick, but they haven't been in stock for awhile.

Latest posts