For .36 cal TC Seneca lovers

Wobblyshot1

I looking around on ebay today and came across a Lyman 128 gr maxie mould in 36 caliber. No doubt intended for TC rifles. I don't think they are made anymore.

Just a heads up for someone wanting to make their little 36 Seneca a deer rifle.

TennesseeJed

For years .40 was the minimum and even though I love the .40 I have, I deer hunt with a .54. Downrange impact is what counts for me.

I have a Seneca .36 that's a fun gun, but I wouldn't take it hunting for deer.

Wobblyshot1

It wouldn't be my choice either. My last statement should have been followed by one of these... ;)

Actually, with 60 grs. of 3fg and that maxie ball the charts show you'd get 1138 ft/lbs of muzzle energy out of a Seneca...slightly more than a .530 round ball(54) with 70 grs. of 2fg in a Renegade. I pretty sure it could take a deer up close and with careful shot placement.

Heck...I know a fella that killed a 165 lb field dressed 9 pointer with his .32 flintlock. Double lunged it at 50 yds. That's another story, though.

TennesseeJed

I have a .58, and I used to joke with friends that it was the perfect squirrel rifle...if you wanted squirrel ear and tail soup.

There's been a couple of threads at muzzleloading forum that mention the .36 being legal for "big game" in TN. Anyone going to go after deer, bear, or if you're one of the lucky few with an elk tag gonna use a .36?

I wonder what the reasoning of the TWRA was when they lowered the minimum.

Wobblyshot1

quigleysharps4570 said:
TennesseeJed said:
I wonder what the reasoning of the TWRA was when they lowered the minimum.

Did they mention a conical only?

Nope....I don't think Tennessee has any restrictions on muzzle loader projectiles. I kinda wondered why it was lowered too.

I do understand that Kentucky has no caliber minimum for muzzle loading firearms.

quigleysharps4570

Kansas has a .40 caliber minimum. That little roundball will drop deer but sure wish I had a conical mould for it if I were going to carry it much for deer hunting.

Wobblyshot1

ratsnakeboogy said:
I'm about to build a .358 smokeless just to see what it will do. Should have amazing ballistic properties for a muzzleloaders.

I figured someone had already tried or thought of trying just what you are wanting to do.

My next thought is what kind of bullet are you planning on using. Are there any sub sized sabots that would accommodate a real rifle bullet? I'm thinking it would be nigh on impossible to muzzle load a copper jacketed bullet.

ratsnakeboogy

Wobblyshot1 said:
ratsnakeboogy said:
I'm about to build a .358 smokeless just to see what it will do. Should have amazing ballistic properties for a muzzleloaders.

I figured someone had already tried or thought of trying just what you are wanting to do.

My next thought is what kind of bullet are you planning on using. Are there any sub sized sabots that would accommodate a real rifle bullet? I'm thinking it would be nigh on impossible to muzzle load a copper jacketed bullet.

It's been done before, I'm not blazing a new trail.

I would love for one of the sabot companies to come out with a .40/.358 high pressure sabot, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

This one will be sabotless. Barnes is slightly undersized and may work out of the box. If not, I will order a sizing die from Lee to reduce diameter and knurl them back up as neccessary. There is also the possibility of a full form die made from the barrel drop producing a fully engraved bullet to match the bore.

Latest posts