Food Plots Food plots

TNTreeman

I planted about 11 acres of corn in late June this year and it did really well and I plan to leave it standing throughout the season. I planted another 5 to 6 acres in two areas in wheat, Oates, and brassica. I've noticed over the yrs I enjoy watching my plots grow and thrive as much as anything . I think I've checked my plots more than my cameras this year. I love the whole process watching the crops and deer grow.

ADR

TNTreeman":193xjid7 said:
I planted about 11 acres of corn in late June this year and it did really well and I plan to leave it standing throughout the season. I planted another 5 to 6 acres in two areas in wheat, Oates, and brassica. I've noticed over the yrs I enjoy watching my plots grow and thrive as much as anything . I think I've checked my plots more than my cameras this year. I love the whole process watching the crops and deer grow.

Agreed. I almost enjoy growing food plots and checking checking cameras more than actually hunting em. Almost!!

JCDEERMAN

It is addicting for sure and a process you continually try to improve year to year, whether that be experimental blends or proven-to-you blends. There is nothing more gratifying than having deer come into a field like clockwork every day that you put a lot of sweat equity into.

megalomaniac

Agreed, its nice to give back to the species rather than just take all the time. I sat on my 8ac plot without a weapon this eve, just to watch the deer come in and feed.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

X-Tennessean

Mine have done really well this year and has been a joy getting all the trail cam pics/videos after not having them in for the last 4 years (never found the time to get them prepped and seeded).
This year the deer/turkeys have absolutely worn them out and it will be a "must" for me to get them put in from here on out.
Even the dadgum coyotes have been enjoying them, I guess from all the other visitors...I get yote pics daily but it doesn't seem to be bothering any of the other critters. I want to so bad go in with a rifle and try to take a couple out.......regs....grrrrr!

DeerCamp

megalomaniac":3j8fm8hs said:
Agreed, its nice to give back to the species rather than just take all the time. I sat on my 8ac plot without a weapon this eve, just to watch the deer come in and feed.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Can't overstate this. In the past we haven't done adequate weed control, and honestly not enough lime/fertilizer.

Really committed this year and there's a definite feeling of "providing benefit" to the wildlife rather than being a place they come when things get desperate food wise for them.

Latest posts