Food Plots Food Plot question

Bone Collector

I planted a mix of boss buffet and 7 card stud this year. I think both have winter wheat, clover, winter peas, radishes, Rape, brassica, etc.

The issue I had is I mowed, then sprayed, and then tried to break up the surface dirt with a pasture drag with weight on it. When I dragged the first time it was so dang dry I could barely break the surface. Had quite a bit of weight, but no luck. I then waited until the week before bow opener and it rained for 3 days straight. I dragged it and it was a mud pit, but I was out of time. I broadcast seed, and WAS going to flip the drag, and drag again, but I felt it wouldn't work with the mud.

the plot came up, but it didn't come up the way I thought it would (sorry no pics) mainly looks like winter wheat, but no leafy greens which I was hoping for.

Question is this. I am wondering with the equipment I have, should I just frost seed in clover after season.

If I go that route:
1. Do I have to kill what is there first?
2. Can I plant a variety of clover or does it have to be white to frost seed?

thanks,

huvrman

Could be ph. I've never been able to get greens to grow. Wheat and rye do great. Clover only in the plot I've limed. At some point it just gets too expensive to do the proper prep...

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
No you do not have to kill the plot.
Frost in your clover and take soil samples so you can adjust in the spring.
If you get a fair stand of wheat it will help protect your clover.
Be prepared to let your clover bloom and seed, mow if you must but mow above the clover.
After it has seeded mow, wait for weeds and grasses to start growing again and spray with butyrac and clethadim. If your clover seems thin add more in august, it will come in by October.

Fertilize clover with 0-30-30 or as close to that as you can find, usually it's like 6-24-24 or something

Bone Collector

What are your goals for this plot? Are you wanting a perennial plot in clover or want to plant it every fall with a mix?
That is what I am trying to decide. Don't know if I should do clover only (eventually get it that way over time) or just try again next year, but hope for better circumstances. I've always wanted a mix, but thought that is what I would get this year, until it didn't happen. I think it was just a series of unfortunate events, so I am still trying to figure out what my best option is.

skipperbrown

Getting a really nice perennial white clover plot is tough even with good equipment and spraying for grass and broadleaf weeds. You can try seeding on top now and crimson grows really well in most plots coming on strong in the spring but it is more of an annual. You might call your local county extension office. They will send someone out to look over your place and offer suggestions. It's free.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Getting a really nice perennial white clover plot is tough even with good equipment and spraying for grass and broadleaf weeds. You can try seeding on top now and crimson grows really well in most plots coming on strong in the spring but it is more of an annual. You might call your local county extension office. They will send someone out to look over your place and offer suggestions. It's free.
I agree for the most part. I have all the right equipment just short on time and yes clover is demanding. In my plots where crimson has been allowed to go to seed it comes back on most cool spells but in plots browsed real hard I have to add seed every other year. Following the lead of a previous string on here I integrated crimson (for cool season) and arrowleaf (for hotter weather) in an attempt to spread my 30+ acres of clover into a year round plot. I also drill cereal rye and turnips into the clover in the fall which helps protect against overbrowse and keeps cool season grasses and weeds to a minimum. Mow the rye after Turkey season and it will come back and head out short. The rabbits will explode in it and your clover will be tall and lush. The county office can also be a good source of information regarding new varieties. Nothing better than a well informed decision.

tellico4x4

No you do not have to kill the plot.
Frost in your clover and take soil samples so you can adjust in the spring.
If you get a fair stand of wheat it will help protect your clover.
Be prepared to let your clover bloom and seed, mow if you must but mow above the clover.
After it has seeded mow, wait for weeds and grasses to start growing again and spray with butyrac and clethadim. If your clover seems thin add more in august, it will come in by October.

Fertilize clover with 0-30-30 or as close to that as you can find, usually it's like 6-24-24 or something
This is spot on!