Food plot for deer and turkey

duckriver

duckriver

I know it's the wrong time of year but I'm planning ahead. We have several acres of beans each year for ag purposes but I'm wanting to plant a food plot for deer and turkey. I've got a spot that's 2 acres located between 2 sanctuaries that I'd like to plant. What recommendations do you have? Thanks

duckriver

duckriver

rbreedi1":1iu0lnp9 said:
Hard to beat a good wheat/clover plot

That's kinda what I was thinking. Any ideas on biologic / imperial whitetail vs co-op white clover seeds?

P

poorhunter

I'm listening too! One of my farms has a 2-3 acre secluded spot that is perfect. One potential problem is that it will at least partially flood each year.

R

Riverday

clover ,,, no wheat... if you want some wheat do it on the end or something... you can't spray wheat with the same chemicals as clover ,,, just do all clover...lot more work than just buying a bag of seed...you need to take a few soil samples etc...you need chemicals and sprayer that will go on the back of a 4 wheeler and a seeder that mounts on a 4 wh for spreading lime and fertilizer ... so it's a lot more to do than buy a bag or get some seed mix....and if the area is already disc you can frost seed in Feb...

duckriver

duckriver

What do you spray clover with to keep grass and weeds out? All I've used is 24D on our hay fields to kill clover and other broad leaf plants to help the grass. But it would be opposite in the situation

R

Riverday

you can look it up on line , what to buy to spray clover with..one chemical is Arrest and you will need crop oil....

S

SKFOOTER

Biologic Non-Typical Clover. Once it's established use Clethodim to control the grass and Butyrac (24DB) to control the broadleafs.

R

rbreedi1

If your planting in the fall, A cool season grain like wheat will give you quick growth after planting and provide quick forage while your clovers are slower to establish and will provide a "nurse crop" over the winter and will die back by spring leaving you a pure clover stand. And go with the Co-op seed, much cheaper. Be sure to take a soil test and lime/fertilize based on results or you may be disappointed.